Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Vl turbo running issues

Started by Langley · 10 Jan 2014 · 18 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

LangleyArchived member
As I've mentioned my vl turbo won't run properly unless I kink the return hose. I've replaced both fuel pumps and fitted a brand new fuel reg from nissan with no luck. I've also changed the fuel filter. When I remove the fuel line from the rail there's no pressure build up. Could the injectors be causing a fuel pressure issue. The car had sat for a few years before I bought it. I'm running out of ideas and am about to book it into the mechanic
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
is there any weeping on the injector hoses? or leaks anywhere of fuel? With the regulator, is the hose on top cracked or old? (even tho i would suspect that would keep the reg. closed and in essence, doing what your clamping is doing...) Did you by accident swap the fuel feed / return hoses? I did this by mistake in troubleshooting mine and of course it wouldn't run. - The steel fuel line with the bend outwards is the feed and should run to the lower pipe/feed the rail. - a lesson i learnt was that the reg. is there to control the fuel back towards the tank, not feed the rail - I was a rookie until i read up learnt more on regs. I know its prob a long shot, but does the ECU report any codes?
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
I've even tried running a new vacume hose straight of the manifold and straight to the top of the fuel reg with no change. The car starts, idles and drives ok till either you punch it or drive for a couple kms till it seems to start starving for fuel. ---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 20:55 ---------- And yea no fualt codes either
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
I kinda had same problem, would start and idle if I linked the return fuel line, changed spark plugs and ran like a dream!
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
Can't hurt. I'll throw another set of plugs in tomorrow. Never no
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
ohh, interesting.... I wasnt aware it would idle ok.... what about leads? I got a set of those top gun "max" 500Ohm resistance ones and that helped a bit.... untill i bloody ripped the end off one being a fool and pulling on the wire... (now i have to get 1x new replacement one) Are you running all standard gear? coz, im no expert.... but if your using bigger injectors and demanding more of it, that might be a factor. Also i took my CAS apart and used the electronic cleaner over everything, cleaned the **** out of it all, i believe that helped a bit.... (i even used a flathead and pry'ed the part that the disk runs through and soaked in there too) - but i was kinda already guessing i would replace, so didnt care much, plus i'd had quite a few drinks and was feeling adventurous.... so be careful, maybe i just got very lucky that i didn't break anything
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
Yea I've tried cleaning everything with contact cleaner sensors, AFM and what not but just assumed it was a fuel issue as it ran fine when I kinked the return line. If the same thing happened to Deanovlct I might try another set of plugs
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
but i don't get how its bad when giving it some, but you can still kink it.... are u putting some vice grips on and going for a drive or something? Or is this in the garage, with some RPM ?
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
Yea kink it with vice grips and go for a spin. When it's running in the shed without it kinked it'll idle n rev but if you stab the throttle it'll miss. But if you kink the return hose and stab it it's fine
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
ahhh.... sorry i didnt get that.... again, im no expert.... but im very sus of that fuel reg. i mean, your vice grips are doing its job really...... but on the other hand, you've tried 2 now..... ---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 23:42 ---------- I just had another thought .... have you "tuned" the AFM according to the guide on here http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...cu+error+codes (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=165781&highlight=ecu+error+codes) the AFM screw might be making it run lean, so fail at higher demand?
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
I haven't tried tuning the AFM but I've changed it with a one off a running car. I fitted the brand new fuel reg from nissan today. Bloody cost and arm and leg too. I know it's something small. When I go for a drive it seems to run ok till it uses all the fuel in the rail then it's just seems like it runs out of fuel ---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 23:42 ---------- Could it be that the injectors are blocked and need the higher pressure from when I kink the return to feed more fuel in ---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 00:42 ---------- I just had a thought. When I changed the in tank pump I noticed the return hose inside the tank that goes to the swirl pot was busted off. Would this effect the fuel pressure or running of the engine?
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
If you Can be bothered, and dont mind spending/wasting approx 250, you could always get them (injectors) cleaned/flow tested? least you will have piece of mind and rule out something else. Only catch is when i did mine, I had to split the plenum and pull the lot out, so took me about 1/2 a day... might be something to consider... My injector cleaning guy seemed pretty confident in saying that the seals often dont seal properly and let air in past the injector, but that doesn't really go with what your experiencing. Like the guy earlier said, maybe if u look at spark plugs, and can check the color of them? make sure nothing obvious like the tips missing? (i had a 180sx in the past and when i was selling it, i had to put it all back to stock from an EPA canary, and i removed the boost gauge before getting all the plumbing correct and it overboosted a few times, melting the tip off a spark plug.... it killed the turbo (guessing it shot through) so after a replacement turbo, it was still running like ****... WTF? I checked spark plugs.... one was totally missing the bottom tip/conductor thing. And plugs are kinda easy to check in the VL.
0 likes
ROB2019Archived member
I had a similar problem at work , not Vl related tho . It was what ur thinking blocked injectors . We wer clamping the return line and it drove heaps better so had the injectors done problem solved . Hope it works for u ..
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
I'll change the plugs this week, failing that it's going into the shop. I'll let you's know the results. Cheers for everyone's input
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Start from scratch. Sounds like a pressure issue. I fail to see how kinking a hose would have much the same positive effects in relation to replacing spark plugs. Get a picture of a stock vl off the net and copy it exactly. Check your entire fuel system front to back as you may have a leak. Also may pay to flow test you vac lines with some water as they may be blocked, very rare but hey so is your issue. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
For some reason my fuel system is not pressurizing. After running the car then removing the line from the fuel rail there is no pressure build up. Only when I kink the return line after the reg I see the fuel line expand under pressure but the pressure is lost after I release it. It can't be the reg as I've tried four different ones and now it's got a brand new turbo one fitted. What else would cause it not to pressurize.
0 likes
GenieeArchived member
are any of those hoses old and shyza? could it be they are expanding and absorbing the pressure? might be a go, and wont cost too much, strike one more thing off the board haha Or, some would say get a fuel pressure gauge tester thing, but i have no idea where to get them, mechanics might, but .... your kinda a mechanic yourself by doing all this troubleshooting.... wouldn't it be nice to solve it yourself Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Lol something's ass about. Dude you need to go through your fuel system element by element from low pressure pump hose , damper , high pressure fuel filter hose ect till you get back to the tank If every thing is in its place it will work or you won't get that far as you would have found the problem Luck dude
0 likes
LangleyArchived member
Yea. I'm gonna flow test each pump on the weekend and slowly eliminate each thing. As obviously replacing each one hasn't fixed the problem. Cheers for all the suggestions
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 9 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today61

3,760 threads, 23,710 posts and 472 images saved from CT