Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Need help installing car audio into VY

Started by MUS · 8 Jan 2014 · 12 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
Hey guys, I have looked around and haven't really found the info that I need.. I want to install my car audio myself LOL I have no clue what to do Can anybody walk me through it? I would really appreciate it.. I have the following: *pioneer head unit *deck facia *amp *sub *all necessary wiring. I really don't want to pay somebody $300+ and would love to do it myself.. Any help is really appreciated, even if you only contribute a little bit or if you can put a link for a how to in a vy commie. Thanks! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CarnalArchived member
you will need a test light or multi meter. with the ignition off (at car connector plug) 1 wire should have power/12v (connects to power on your head unit ) with ignition on (at car connector plug) another wire should have power/12v (and no power with ignition off) this connects to the accessories wire on your head unit. you should also have a ground wire (normally black) which connects to ground on the head unit. then you should have a wire on the head unit labelled aerial or remote. that connects to the amp and is normally the little wire between the RCA cables (this is normally a blue wire) then you should have depending on how many speakers there are - pairs of wires the same colour ie. (1 blue and 1 blue/white, 1 grey and 1 grey/white) these are your speaker wires and will have to pair with the head unit speaker wires. that's the basics of the head unit, but would need more info on the amp and sub ect to connect that, if this sounds too hard to do yourself then send it in
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Mate your a legend, I really appreciate your help.. I have all the tools necessary for the job. I will get stuck into it soon, i am in the process of reprinting my front bar. Then installing my HID kit and OTR., I will PM you the specs of my sub and amp. Or maybe I should post them here so you can publicly help for other people to see and use your guidance Legend! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
morhiusvzArchived member
You can get a harness that plugs straight into the factory one then into the headunit. Then it is just a matter of running power from battery for the amp, A ground and a remote wire from the headunit
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by morhiusvz [View Post] You can get a harness that plugs straight into the factory one then into the headunit. Then it is just a matter of running power from battery for the amp, A ground and a remote wire from the headunit Is that the iso?
0 likes
morhiusvzArchived member
Yes
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
If you have the same facia kit I used they have detailed instructions with pictures telling you exactly where all the screws clips etc. are in the dash to get the old head unit out and fit there kit.. As I couldn't get a plug in loom to suit the deck, for the wiring I bought a vy-vz to iso plug in loom cut the iso plug off and joined the wires to the loom that came with the deck all colours matched up and that way I could plug it straight into the car without cutting anything you'll also need a areal plug convertor too..
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Sweet, yeah I've got the ISO and areal plug.. Once this hot weather pisses off il get started.
0 likes
PistolArchived member
Update?
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Sorry man, nothing yet. I brought another car recently and have been fcking around getting the roady done. I pick my senator up tomorrow (audios going in this car)... And hopefully I get started on the audio soon. I really want to know how to connect the wiring to the battery and deck then feed it to the boot?
0 likes
PistolArchived member
Hope this helps.. (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/pistol-pistol-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61D2E856-C922-4253-B4B3-087F436DF78F.jpg.html) One of my babies.. (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/pistol-pistol-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CDF6C590-2DFD-401F-8BB8-5899CDC1656B.jpg.html) Battery connection.. (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/pistol-pistol-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/B1E838AC-62DA-47BD-A2C7-83507FABC4B0.jpg.html) Positioning and fuse.. (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/pistol-pistol-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FDEB830F-D578-4ED2-868C-18F1675A90C4.jpg.html) Through the right most grommet on the firewall.. (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/pistol-pistol-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1B64DC6E-58E1-49FB-8C7F-827C35BA3D2E.jpg.html) Then run it down the inside of the drivers kick panel, under the door sill covers (or floor) all the way through to the boot and connect to the +12v on the amp. In regards to the remote turn on for the amp, most are actually in between the two rca cables, and connect to the (usually blue) cable from the head unit, and attach to the rem (remote) on the amp. If not in the rca's, run a seperate thin wire. Cheers, Paul. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Thanks Paul, that was very helpful. Nice clubby Devil yellow is mint. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PistolArchived member
No probs, cheers mate.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today64

4,825 threads, 30,077 posts and 499 images saved from CT

14.1% of indexed threads saved