Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

high powered vl with A/C

Started by VlTurboM8 · 23 Dec 2013 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VlTurboM8Archived member
Hi, as anyone seen or had a vl with for example a high mount gt42 with a/c. I have a gt42 and have installed the pump and bracket and everything fits so there is enough room but I was wondering why no one installs them? I plan on driving the car regularly but wondering if it was really worth it
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
I think they leave the a/c off cause they don't want to loose a couple of HP when chasing dyno numbers or if its a toy and not a daily don't see the need for a/c, but last time I checked there was a switch on the dash that turns it off so the only power lost is what's required to spin a belt which must be a huge HP drain reminds me I should take the p/s and alt belt off so I can get a few more HP well jokes aside I'm not here to put people off side just giving my point of view. I personally have it fitted to mine as I like to be comfortable if cruising on a warm day and simply turn it off if feel the need to get on it..
0 likes
SELO XST 045Archived member
i here would like to know about this, good thread ive been looking into this, as i can get a new air con radiator for $200.00 i am keen to buy one, pop it in and go get the service done to have '' air con ''. but i would like to know whats the go with it ... ? does it cool the same, lets say as a vs , vx or a earlier model car these days......? cheers SELO.
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
Well my a/c cools fine could do with a faster blower fan but cant complain too much its from 87 after all , even with the front mount in front of the condenser it works great just have to use a slim condenser fan instead of the fat standard fan ...
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
Be a couple of reasons.. 1. restricts intercooler size maybe 2.If you use a aftermarket harmonic balancer, some brands don't have the AC belt drive.. 3. Weight cheers darren
0 likes
chief355Archived member
I have had to remove both mount / drier on one side of condenser (drivers side ) and cut the other side bracket (passenger side )leaving 10mm protruding of original bracket. I then stepped the other piece of cut bracket back on to the 10mm piece left that is welded to condenser and bolted together. This reduced it from around 60mm to 50mm. The aim is to get all pipes and brackets to a depth of 50mm. Then used a slimline davies craig thermo which is also about 50mm in depth. Drier will be relocated and plumbed into original lines with two custom extension pipes mounted into a 60mm fuel pump bracket around corner and under wheel arch area. **80mm thick intercooler used**
0 likes
VlTurboM8Archived member
any pictures of how you did it chief?
0 likes
chief355Archived member
Cut and remove drier bracket (Drivers side) and get 2 x pipes to join on to existing pipes. I am getting these done by a mate at a air conditioning shop. You will need to duplicate the fittings to be able to screw into drier and other side to join into the two pipes (inlet /outlet). Bracket cut and stepped back (passenger side). Notice the 10mm left of original bracket. Total height now is under 50mm. Install slimline fan and your done! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SELO XST 045Archived member
i like that Quote: chief355 gives a bit more room. i am guessing you dont aftermarket harmonic balancer.? as darren was saying.
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Keep in mind to. On say a 30 degree day the condenser will be close to 50 degree air coming off. That's y people don't do it. Heats up the radiator more, trans coolers n inter coolers.
0 likes
VL_NickArchived member
Probably also due to the fact that VL's are so old that most of them the a/c is buggered and needs a complete overhaul, new seals etc and most people just cant be bothered with the time and the expense of getting it working reliably. Easier just to pull it all out.
0 likes
GACArchived member
I ran a/c with a high mount gt42 never had a drama ran low 10s drove it almost daily for a year
0 likes
SELO XST 045Archived member
well how much would a full service be ? roughly. anyone got a complete fix up .....
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
I just got my system serviced and re-gassed and it was $185, but in saying that he let me know the TX Valve was a bit dodgy, and it may come good, but I think I'll have to get that changed over as the air con ain't cool yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today39

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 273 images saved from CT