Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Turbo 400 vs Powerglide

Started by VlTurboM8 · 21 Dec 2013 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VlTurboM8Archived member
just wondering how the t400 is compared to a glide? on the street how do they compare?
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
I'm getting a turbo400 in mine supposively meant to be a lot more street able as there a 3spd but can also handle big power
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
The 3 speed would be heaps better - a 2 speed spends a LOT of time on the convertor so I'd say the 3 speed will generally be quicker - as it's got an extra ratio to use.
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
T400 will be always better in the street having the extra gear but I couldn't complain with my glide and it's good cause I don't take it out of first around town but that's me being lazy. I think the glide also robs more power but I could be wrong. The t400 is more expensive to build also I think.
0 likes
VlTurboM8Archived member
I can get a glide or t400 for nearly same price 1000hp with brake. I was asking as I haven't seen many turbo 400 in vls and was wondering why not?
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
GH747 runs a T400 I'm pretty sure.
0 likes
zvonkoArchived member
GH ran a T400 but has had the clutchless put back in for some time now and still has it in. The 400 is a strong box but i was told it robs more power than what a powerglide does.
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
No that's a clutchless setup
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
Turbo 400 robs more power than a glide as it's quite a big box my turbo 400 will b good for 1500hp and it's goin behind rb30 but as the motor will b roughly around 800-1000hp what power I lose through the box will b barely noticeable
0 likes
mkd.jetArchived member
Just get a glide less parts to break in it
0 likes
VlTurboM8Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mkd.jet [View Post] Just get a glide less parts to break in it turbo 400s are pretty strong if built right and last and car will be driven on the street abit and havin the first will aid in spool times
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
A turbo 400 is probably the most robust transmission you can have built for your car that's why alot of the burnout guys use them . They suck alot more power than a glide and are alot heavier . Their ratios are nothing special . If you want a light trans , that's a 3 sp with good ratios and can take a transbrake then considered a C4 . It's all good to say you've got a trans that can take a 1000hp but are you ever gonna need that ? I don't know if any of you know him but Porka was running a C4 in his vl and that was running 8.3s . Don't know if he's changed it , haven't spoken to him in a while .
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
Depends what your set up is. Who uses first gear on the street anyway? Most big power cars will turn the tyres to well over 100-150kmh. I know I could never use first in my 3 speed. Powerglide just has a little longer first gear and top gear is the same ratio as the three speed top gear. One shift and you're done. Cheaper, stronger. Glide it.
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
I agree, 2 speed setup right is better IMO
0 likes
GMHVNArchived member
has anyone put a th350 behind a rb? Pros and cons? if any...
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
The only rb30 I have seen with a t350 behind it was twiinz
0 likes
mkd.jetArchived member
I just put a glide in mine and I'm surprised how well it drives on the street compared to my jatco I'd say go the glide
0 likes
VlTurboM8Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mkd.jet [View Post] I just put a glide in mine and I'm surprised how well it drives on the street compared to my jatco I'd say go the glide where did you get your glide from and how much$$?
0 likes
ezduz10sArchived member
go a glide, for the street they are fine if setup right, mine has 5500 stall in it and still drives fine on the street, can't beat them
0 likes
mkd.jetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VlTurboM8 [View Post] where did you get your glide from and how much$$? I got it from the States Neal transmissions and I got GZM AUTOMOTIVE to put it in I've got a 4800rpm convertor and it feels tighter then my 3500 that I had in my jatco
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT