Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Engineering

Started by bck2basic · 12 Sept 2013 · 16 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

bck2basicArchived member
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has gotten out of engineering their vl with an injected 5 litre? If so how? Or does anyone know any good engineers in vic that are relatively cheap? Also has anyone had experience in engineering 19" rims on vl's? I have vx gts' if that helps. Thanks
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
I have but in sydney . They came with a 5 litre dude whats to engineer ? The injection ??? That's factory also . Get a better blue slip guy .
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
How is it factory? They came out with carbie. And I've tried about 10 places
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
The walkinshaw came out with an injected 5ltr from the factory...
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Yeah I know that, but vicroads are arguing that "they aren't the same car and they weren't produced by holden."
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
^lol tell them to read there own rules man. if that series car came with that engine, no engineers needed.
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
This is from VSI 6Vehicle modifications fall into three distinct categories:�� ‘Owner certified’ minor modifications which can be accepted for registration purposes without formalcertification.�� ‘Engineering signatory certified’ modified production vehicles.�� ‘Engineering signatory certified’ individually constructed vehicles.Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment for the vehicleconcerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications of a minor nature which donot affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as brakes and steering. These modifications havelittle or no impact upon the vehicle’s level of compliance with the Australian Design Rules.Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:��*Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for thevehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emissionADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operatecorrectly).***
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Psi_Wagon [View Post] ^lol tell them to read there own rules man. if that series car came with that engine, no engineers needed. Yea I understand that, but the vl didn't come out with the same motor as a vn. ---------- Post added 14-09-13 at 16:39 ---------- I've had this argument with vicroads in office and on the phone to engine change policy and with the police. They are arguing that even though the walkinshaw came out with a injected v8 that the standard vl didn't, and that I have a standard vl
0 likes
SIK304Archived member
100% fact - I was at Vic roads 2 weeks ago to change engine number. Injected 5.0 Did they ask for a cert? No. I do not have an engineers cert, I never have, been injected 5.0 for ten years. Why don't you just get it reged with a carb, then put the injection on. The engine number will stay the same and they will never question it.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Their just being ****s. I don't know, I just want to get out of it, as my reg is now suspended and I have no car. I know there's plenty of them out there with no vass and I just wonder why I got fcked for it.
0 likes
SIK304Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bck2basic [View Post] Their just being ****s. I don't know, I just want to get out of it, as my reg is now suspended and I have no car. I know there's plenty of them out there with no vass and I just wonder why I got fcked for it. Sounds like they have it in for you. Go to another Vic roads office. A vl is a vl, Walky or not it's the same car. The rules are very detailed and looks very much like they are going against what is written in their own rules.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Yeah I thought that, but they are arguing that the walkinshaw wasn't made by holden blah blah, I even said that to the cop who defected me and he said but the walkinshaw was made by hsv blah blah and I said we'll where the **** did the shell come from and looked at me and then proceeded by saying if this was a walkinshaw I wouldn't be defecting you but calling you a ****head for taking out the walkinshaw engine and replacing it with a vn motor ---------- Post added 14-09-13 at 19:35 ---------- Change of engine 1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed. You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form. That's what it says on the vicroads website. ---------- Post added 14-09-13 at 19:40 ---------- Sorry if it helps I have a injected v8 out of a vn in my vl, maybe I didn't make that clear ---------- Post added 14-09-13 at 19:40 ---------- They picked up on it straight away as when they put the engine number in the system it came up as a different model
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
doesnt matter man, its the same engine as a VN. the ONLY way they can knock u back is if you havnt upgraded everything else (brakes etc) to match the model your engine is from. if someone had a walky and blew the engine, the chances of getting another 304 block prefixed for a VL is pretty much impossible. so there saying youd need an engineers for a replacement? lol just goto a different vicroads man, if your car was a 6cyl before make sure your brakes and suspension etc has been changed.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Yeah I have done all that, v8 springs, v8 booster and master, v8 calipers, bigger rotors. I've retained twin cats, charcoal canister and diagnostic connector so it can connect to tech1 to check emissions. Ill give them a call tomorrow. See what happens, will it matter that I'm defected for the engine conversion though?
0 likes
brockzilaArchived member
Find a VL block and put the injection gear on it?
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Nah, technically you still need to get that engineered.
0 likes
brockzilaArchived member
So basically vicroads are inconsistant with their rules typical Doing a conversion in my vk to vn running gear talked to an engineer told him all i have done said no problem approx. $700 still a work in progress for me but give him a try Askar Kadykov [phone removed] Factory 1/33 rimfire dr Hallam Vic [email removed]
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 225 images saved from CT