Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

RB30E head warped?

Started by rb30:) · 31 Aug 2013 · 5 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

rb30:)Archived member
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on this forum as I sold my old VL a couple of years back and only just acquired another one. I'm happy to be a VL owner again but she needs a bit of work to get her back upto scratch. The main problem is that the car is really hard to start and requires a fair amount of throttle just to get it started and when it does start it sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders. Also there is a heap of pressure building up in the cooling system which I think is because exhaust gasses are being pushed back into the cooling system somehow and the radiator hoses aren't even warming up. I took the rocker cover off to inspect and sure enough I had a nice little milkshake going on in there. This morning I got stuck into it and pulled the head off to have a closer look and the gasket seemed ok but the main thing I found is that the cam WILL NOT come out. I know I haven't done anything wrong because I've removed a lot of cams from RB30's in the past. I have narrowed the problems down to a warped head. What do you's think? Am I on the money? Also the head has no major cracks that I can see.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
I have never had any head issues . But either way you'll need a head gasket And head. Depending on your plans for the future, now would be a smart time to make a decision in regards to a turbo conversion. Other wise get another head, gasket etc clean it up and bolt it on. Next time it may be easier to buy an engine and 5speed package for 600 +/- and wack that in. Also due to my limited experience with cracked or warped heads I'd pose the question does the head warping effect the cam? In know a head is alloy and cams are steel but high temps and length can level the playing field. Dusty Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
sampoArchived member
Ive got a complete RB30e head with new head bolts minus injectors and dizzy (comes with GTR hose tails but i believe 2 are leaking) $160ono
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
yeah its warped man, had the exact same prob on a customers car. when you do manage to get the cam out, youll find a nice crack along the bottom of the cam tunnel at the rear of the head.
0 likes
86SLVLTArchived member
Have you pulled the distributor out of the head?
0 likes
hsvhelArchived member
i cracked the cam tunnel from 1-5. Same issues you had. It happens when the coolant bleed still has air bubles in it. Stumped me as to why it went until i got the head off and Cam out
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today38

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 273 images saved from CT