Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My 1986 VL SL

Started by VLT222 · 19 Aug 2013 · 61 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLT222Archived member
Make / Model: 1986 VL SL Colour: Alpine White with mx grey bars and moulds Bodykit: no lol Engine Type: RB30 Power: Not much.. Exhaust: 2.5" catback with 3" dump tip Gearbox: MF5 Diff: Drum peg legger Brakes: N/A Suspension: Standard springs up front and ultra lows with Gabriel shocks in the rear Wheels/Tyres: 18"CSA Rims Interior: Standard beige Stereo: Pioneer 7" flip-up screen and 6" speakers In the front doors with 6" in the parcel shelf Other Mods: HID's, tints (yuck)... And that's about it Future mods: VLT Brake upgrade, VLT Diff, and better suspension... Hey guys, After owning one to many vl's I just couldn't resist to buy another, after owning my red SL, white Calais and a burgundy Berlina I really wanted another SL so here we are. After searching for weeks I came across this really clean SL. I've done a vin check on it and its come up as a 1986 VL SL? Anyway it's extremely clean with only a few dings and no rust! It's also an original manual with an mf5 box which drives really well. I'm 100% sure I'm keeping this one for a while since it is pretty mint. Anyway this is how it came the day I bought it.. Ill try and keep it updated as best as possible After a wash and quick polish I also replaced the rear taillight as it was cracked and found a little bit of peeled off paint so I put some primer on and fixed it all up All done, ill be spraying the rear lights and garnish soon aswell Ill be getting the tints removed soon and a new blinker stalk aswell so should come along nicely anyway Thanks guys any feedback would be great Nick. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Clean bro.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Very nice, would look tuff on chasers.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] Very nice, would look tuff on chasers. Yeah man I think so aswell, needs a few things first tho ---------- Post added 20-08-13 at 19:04 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Clean bro. thanks man only had it about a week or so..
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Ordered a new blinker stalk and heater core hose as mine has a pin hole leak.. They should be here within the 2 weeks hopefully
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Didnt even read anything you posted lol, but Yessss finally some new updates on a new VL What happened to the Calais?
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Good progress, nice cruiser. Do you plan to leave it as is or are you going down the road of forced induction? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Now that ive read through, Really clean mate, looks the goods, should turn out just as mint as the red SL, even though it looks already not far off that
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Nice mate. Needs the factory gear knob back on too. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Pinstripe represent!
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Hahaha thanks guys, yes forced induction is looking good, it is a series 1 block tho so it's not going to be that easy, I plan on making it semi "grandpa spec" so I want raise the back up a little and get some chasers on it maybe, get the tints off, and give it a proper cut and polish, put my venetians in, new gear knob and steam clean the interior... That's just the main things I'd like done to it before the end of the year anyway.. ---------- Post added 22-08-13 at 22:35 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by BigM22 [View Post] Didnt even read anything you posted lol, but Yessss finally some new updates on a new VL What happened to the Calais? That's ok lol, the Calais ended up being way to much work and was also stolen and recovered as I found out after rubbing back were the vin is stamped on the strut tower I could see where it was cut and welded lol then I did a revs check on the vin and it came up as an executive so I flicked it off for parts... Plus I could stand looking at it sit there and not being able to drive the thing. ---------- Post added 22-08-13 at 22:36 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by xAsh- [View Post] Pinstripe represent! I was really considering getting rid of it but its really grown on me now so I'm keeping it plus you don't see many with pinstripe anymore. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Time for an update.. I havent done much to this thing in while but I got some things done on the car that were annoying me anyway. I changed the blinker stalk, sorted out some wiring issue's, flushed the coolant, and swapped out a heater hose that was leaking and replaced some hose clamps that were old.. But for future plans Im thinking about turning it grandpa spec! So far what I have planned is: - Chasers with dress rings - GM headlight protectors - Get rid of the tints - Get a decent suspension setup - LSD rear end - Maybe some extractors.. Now for some pictures This is the hose I had to replace And some happy snaps and a recent cruise to the gong I went on.. Anyways thats all for now.. Thanks Nick. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Little update.. I recently done a service on the vl, found the number 4 spark plug different to the rest... -.- it was an iridium. Anyway changed all the plugs, changed the leaky rocker cover gasket and gave the engine a general clean up. Also bought these with centre caps.. Also gave it a good wash and polish yesterday and it came up great.. Thats all for now, Im waiting on some new bushes that I bought so they will go in when i get them.. Let know what you guys think of the walls aswell.. Thanks Nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
White walls IMO are a bit iffy, not a big fan but as long as you like them, then that's all that matters Good work so far, this is also a super clean SL you've got your hands on
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Ceptors look good with the walls
0 likes
MUSArchived member
I like the walls Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Thanks guys, ill probably keep them until I get some new tires but for now Im liking the look of them more and more..
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
I think it's time for an update.. So I've been driving the vl around for past couple of months and I've learned a few things about as we all do. After putting the car up on hoist at work I found a few things that will need to be attended to and just things in general that I want to do to it. So I made a list of things that will hopefully get done in 2014 at some point And here we go.. - new water pump - new timing belt - new washer bottle/overflow - new fuel pumps and fuel lines - new ignition leads and lead separators - repaint rear lights and garnish - paint master cylinder and bracket - paint fuel tank and straps - new tyres - new exhaust tip - paint window frames black? - get beige sunglass holder - remove tints! - detail the engine bay - paint venetians - paints rocker cover wrinkle red - new headgasket and studs And that's all I can think of now... Should have some pics up soon. Thanks nick
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Getting there man. Good work
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
So its time for a real update.. I have recently taken out my tank due to finding a fuel leak and will also be replacing the pump as its starting to make some unhealthy noises.. Tank out I guess thats why it was leaking when i had a full tank.. :/ Anyway I replaced all the hoses with new fuel line and brand new hose clamps. I painted the top half black and bottom half silver with black straps. End result.. mint Also repainted the rear garnish and tail lights, they came out good aswell.. Aayway thats all for now, hopefully my pump arrives soon, i ordered a bosch 911 pump, little bit better than a standard pump I've heard. Will post something up when that comes. Thanks nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT