Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Calais Brake Upgrade Opinions

Started by Jako-25 · 7 Aug 2013 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Jako-25Archived member
Hey guys. Looking to upgrading my Calais brake setup. It is currently fully stock, rotors, size (N/A) etc. First things first I want to have a setup to keep Calais rims on. Thinking of: Front: New/replacement Vlt slotted and drilled DBA rotors, with refurbd vlt calipers + new pads. Do I need a vlt booster ? What size rotors will fit 15" wheels? Rear: N/A replacement size DBA Slotters with new pads. Keeping original calipers. Are Calais vlt rear rotors same size/ caliper ? Any help would be great cheers.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
I've just done this to my vl calais. The turbo/v8 290mm rotors will still fit the calais rims. I used the turbo/v8 booster and master cylinder, I think it does make a difference. There's no difference between non turbo and turbo rear brake setup. I bought a set of v8/turbo calipers for $20 that were fvkd, a kit for them which includes a new piston, piston seal, slide pins and bleeder bolt was around the $35 mark I think. I then got a wire brush on them and resprayed them. My front/rear rotors and pads were $350 I used protex rotors and rda extreme pads My calipers all up were around $100 My brake booster and master cylinder was $150 2 sets of wheel bearings $50 ---------- Post added 08-08-13 at 08:24 ---------- Here are some photos of what it looks like Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Do a search, this has been covered many times. The above example can be improved drastically with braided brake hoses, available on eBay or to be made to order by most brake specialists..
0 likes
vhr32Archived member
I was actually going to say that people go to all the effort reco'ing the calipers, pads, discs and never seem to do the brake lines Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
When I rebuilt the Brock,I did the Booster,the master cylinder,Braided lines,And fully rebuilt all the calipers,and greens stuff brake pads,Cross drilled vented gold DBA rotors on the front and vented rotors by DBA on the rear as well.Stops on a dime!!Booster made a huge difference,you have to remember those poor things have been doing the job for over 20 years and deserve a rebuild as well.And I used a synthitic brake fluid.Job done once and done right!! Cheers Marty
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
Ok so looking to buy a 1" Turbo master cylinder. PBR 1" Master. $190 new. VLT Front Rotors 290mm ( Slotted ) DBA - $200 new. Are DBA ok quality or should i go PBR ? VLT Pair Refurbished Calipers - $500 So expensive ?????? VL Rear Slotted Rotors RDA 279mm - $200 new VLT Full set Bendix Pads - $115 new. Braided lines Safebrake braided lines - $220. That a decent set up ?? ---------- Post added 19-08-13 at 21:25 ---------- As well as all new wheels bearings - $100+
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Caliper kits are appox 40-50 bucks each(that sould include the piston),so do that yourself,But apart from that you cannot go wrong. Cheers Marty ps DBA are pretty good!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 355 images saved from CT