Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

GEN111 Vl ls1 turbo build

Started by flano · 2 Aug 2013 · 3 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

flanoArchived member
Hi all just a quick run down on my vl build. From a 6cyl to a 5.7ltr TH400 Single turbo The car originally started its life as a brown auto 6cyl executive. It then got a ls1 5.7ltr and 6spd manual conversion done by the previous owner who is from Melbourne and it was turned into a burnout car, Had as listed Unknown Cam Springs Aeromotive fuel rails and fpr Mafless tuned http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psf55b97c7.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam081_zpsf55b97c7.jpg) I then purchased the car from him site unseen and took my chances and got it transported up here to QLD. My mates then picked it up from courier company while I was at work and weren't very impressed. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36a9784b.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam090_zps36a9784b.jpg) First drive I had of the car and found out the gearbox was broken so out it come after stripping it down and finding out that it had broken keys in 2nd and 3rd I rebuilt it and replaced every weak link with upgraded parts. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7d2ae506.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam142_zps7d2ae506.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7675a2fc.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam140_zps7675a2fc.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps10576fd8.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam146_zps10576fd8.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85e668c1.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam148_zps85e668c1.jpg) After rebuild... http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psf3d551e7.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adamsiphone205_zpsf3d551e7.jpg) Whilst I had the box/motor out I decided to get the car painted so I stripped it down and off to the painter it went. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4495c70b.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adamsiphone159_zps4495c70b.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c448252.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam123_zps4c448252.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...pscb7c4c27.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adam121_zpscb7c4c27.jpg) Whilst the car was getting painted I decided to get some new. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9d00985e.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/026_zps9d00985e.jpg) After getting powder coated and tyre fitment. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psf7a78c16.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/043_zpsf7a78c16.jpg) After months of the car being at the painter and having some dramas with getting it back I finally got it back 95% done.. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psceb67818.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/adamsiphone226_zpsceb67818.jpg) I then put it all back together and cleaned up the interior and fitted wheels.. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c90502a.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/IMG_7106_zps8c90502a.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps730821e1.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/myvl_zps730821e1.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1ea60ccd.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/IMG_7118_zps1ea60ccd.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psc86f2430.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/054_zpsc86f2430.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8f55787b.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/059_zps8f55787b.jpg) After all this the car was pretty much finished for now I got it mod plated and all ready for rego, then one night I got on the turps with a few friends and decided to test the car out (on a private skid pad) and the 6spd let go again. So after waking up the next day and almost crying I decided bugger it I will put a built TH 400 in it. SO BACK IN THE SHED AGAIN http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a5626d1.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/car_zps1a5626d1.jpg) Then I placed a order for a Full manulized Turbo 400 , TCI flexplate, 4000rpm converter, shifter and transmission coolers. After the long wait again everything arrived I then fitted it all and got a tailshaft made to suit. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps623d4e74.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/auto_zps623d4e74.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6bc4c315.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/shifter_zps6bc4c315.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fb68e91.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/IMG_0713_zps5fb68e91.jpg) Everything was finished and I was quiet impressed with the way it hooked in with the big converter, by this time all as I wanted to do was just drive the car but as bad luck has it I started having some dramas with the way it was running (fuel pumps went bad). HERE'S WHERE IT GETS EXCITING................ I then thought to myself whilst it was not running right why not get a turbo setup built up for it... So off to a good friend of mine GOLEBY'S PARTS to get that sorted. http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8a0ea6d.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/vlls1turbo_zpse8a0ea6d.jpg) After talking with Kristian from (Goleby's Parts) we decided on what it needed to achieve the power goal I wanted which would be around the 600rwhp mark and we come up with a parts list of just to name a few. And the build started... AGAIN Precision PT7675 Walbro 400lph e85 intank pump 2x Bosch 044 external pumps with surge tank all under car ID1000 injectors Turbosmart fpr12000 Turbosmart 50mm pro gate New radiator Intercooler 3.5inch exhaust to 4 inch muffler out the back Cometic head gaskets ARP Head studs Rebuilt heads http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psafcd1d1e.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/gen_zpsafcd1d1e.jpg) http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psd1f37529.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/ls1turbomotor_zpsd1f37529.jpg) I don't have to many other picture's of the turbo build just yet but its now finished... http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c2d2c0b.jpg (http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/overandout1987/IMG_1137_zps9c2d2c0b.jpg) The vl is up and running its had its first tune by Forced Performance in Toowoomba QLD it made 541hp on 8psi the converter is still the 4000rpm N/A converter which was flaring out to 5500rpm on the dyno. So we stopped and left it at that power for now until my new converter shows up next week. Its a animal to drive on the street and so responsive and has so much torque. That's all I've got for now and i'll apologize for the bad grammer I'm no English teacher. Flano...
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
deadly! love the wheels with that colour! how do they run? scrub alittle?
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
well done, what the manifolds set you back?
0 likes
flanoArchived member
Rims are fine there 8's all round i have a 30 profile tyre on the front it scrubs a little on the back with a car load i got some coilovers for the front that im about to put in. Grunter: If i remember right they cost around the 1700 mark
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 6 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today58

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 472 images saved from CT