14-06-13, 01:13 GMT+10#1
Decided I would post it here and make it official.
Hi there boys and girls, I'm planning on doing things a bit differently with my vl and I want some feedback, thoughts and advice. I recently sold my slapper vl turbo, but I still have an NA lying here that's about to run out of rego and I don't want to renew it, so I'll be putting it on the track, some time attacks, and knowing me it'll probably be drifted. I'm not chasing huge power, somewhere around the 250 mark, pushing more later on. Now I have some ideas on things to do with it, mostly to make the suspension better and more adjustable and to be able to replace parts easier/cheaper. The short list is:
1jz-gte, possibly rb25 or 25/30 depending on how soon I want it all running and availability
td06-25g (still thinking about this)
gearbox to suit
nissan brake conversion (mostly r32 gtr gear: booster, master cylinder, calipers and possible disks)
I'll stick with 28 spline axles and a full spool
dual rear caliper hydro handbrake setup
The reason behind all the nissan gear is that I'm involved in drifting and as most people know, they're wrecked all the time, and so parts are very easy and cheap for me to come by.
For the front, it'll either be an r32 suspension conversion, or simply using vr/vs lower control arms and knuckles and stuff, because apparently s-chassis coilovers (cheappp) bolt almost straight in.
Now I'll be sticking with the live rear end because I simply don't need irs, and I'm researching what to do, whether there's any oem options that I can use, to keep it simple and reasonably cheap. Haven't been able to find too much information, but a vn diff would suit my needs because of the increased track and their availability. Adaptor plates for the brakes will be need to be made up for the rear either way, so it doesn't really matter what setup I use, however bolt-in would be nice, or something that's reasonably close so I don't have to fab much.
Rear suspension-wise, it depends on what I run in the end, however with a vn diff I would run some good shocks with some nice and stiff spring combo. I saw a thread on welding some pipe to the chassis, welding a coilover sleeve to it and using a spring of my choice in the place of the original springs, so might give that a shot.
I know there will be a lot of fabrication required, I can weld and I'm not afraid to hack the car up as it will be a dedicated track car.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/wp000382.jpg/
this is the car in question, it served it's time as my daily through my P's and I think it deserves a bit of grandeur.
0 likes
