Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

RB30 LC Torana version 2.0

Started by NLC071 · 8 June 2013 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

NLC071Archived member
Decided to do a build thread this time round.I put an Rb30 in my torana a couple of years back and ive never really had enough rubber under the back to get it to hook up and run decent numbers.Its a real gtr so ive never been able to talk myself into cutting it up. So the plan is to pull the motor,powerglide and 9" back out of this one and turn it back into a standard gtr torana. After months of searching I finally decided on another car,the paint is still pretty new on this one and the body is nice and straight,so I wont be changing the outside for now.But it will be getting a 6 point chromoly cage and mini tubs before the driveline goes in,ill be doing the work myself in my spare time.So im hoping having to update this thread will keep me motivated and off the drink long enough to finish it this year haha. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Wicked man, I love LCs Im so jelly
0 likes
NLC071Archived member
I never did update this lol....so here is a run down on where im at now.Was a pretty busy year at work so i didn't end up with as much spare time as I thought id have. ***lots of pics haha**** Mini Tubs I decided I wanted to keep the factory look with the wheel tubs so I ended up widening the factory ones.Was a massive pain in the ass finding all the spot welds [IMG] [/IMG] I widened them to the rail,and squared the inside of the tubs up for more tyre clearance this is how they turned out,pretty happy with the result,never done any tub work other then on a v8 supercar.Enough room for 275/50/15s now I shortened the standard torana length 9" I already had and got some 35 spline Altra9 axles made and upgraded to a strange nodular case and Modena full spool.Also went a chromolly tailshaft with billet strange ends. The motor dropped straight in with the ETM engine mounts and sump out of the green LC but I decided to ditch the sub zero plenum ive had since my VL and build my own. Cut the flange off of a set of NA runners and machined it flat.Then I got some runners spun with a 50mm bellmouth that tapered down to the inlet size.Rolled the main piece up out of 3mm ali and used a donut at the back. Re used the sub zero throttle body Made a new radiator also to better suit the car,the one in my green LC was a second hand chev one I cut and shut to do the job. So I got a core from PWR and made the rest.Welded dash 20 fittings on for the top hose but left the bottom hose rubber. Decided to go a different way with the engine bay this time,kinda over the polished look and I hate re doing it haha. So I sandblasted a spare cover I had and smoothed it by welding up the groves and badge.Ground it back to 600 grit and got it hydra dipped in carbon.Came out sweet. The fuel system is still the same,homemade fuel tank with a bosch lift pump into a homemade surge then 2 044s into dash 10 all the way to the rail Still haven't built a cage yet,i haven't had the time. Decided to wait until it runs fast enough to need it.But I did manage to just make it to powercruise 50 on low boost and a soft tune.Was a good way to sort out a few issues. So this is how it sits now,got it registered a couple months ago still on pump fuel.Over the next few months I want to make the swap to E85 and up the boost.Hopefully going to run it at willowbank on some slicks and see what happens before that though.So ill try keep this thread a little more upto date. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Love the rocker cover mate very cool, Looks like a nice rig what qtr times u chasing?
0 likes
NLC071Archived member
i'd like to eventually get it into the 9's but for now id be happy somewhere in the mid 10s. I have a lot of sorting out to do first. The motor is built,forged bottom end with some head work and a cam.The 2spd is transbraked with a 5k stall to suit everything. Ive been having dramas with the msd box though,the trigger wire is picking up a random signal somewhere.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Sweet as,nice tub job too, What size injectors and boost u running?
0 likes
NLC071Archived member
At the moment it has bosch 036s in it and is running 16psi the msd 6a is also disconnected and the coil is wired without it. I have a set of id2000s and a new rail ready to go on once I sort out the cdi wiring isse and go e85
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 11 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT