Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Make / Model: VL Executive
Colour: Red over Silver
Bodykit: Stock
Engine Type: N/A
Engine Mods: Stock
Power: Less than factory.
Exhaust: No clue
Gearbox: Stock Auto
Diff: Single spinner (FTW)
Brakes: Stock (Front discs, Rear drums)
Suspension: Don't know
Wheels/Tyres: 15 inch 5 spoke of unknown brand
Interior: Stock beige colour
Stereo: Pioneer speakers/headunit.
This is my first car and pretty happy with it. Found it just down the road from my house for $3000. Don't really know if I got ripped off or if it was a good deal. Doesn't have any exterior rust or dents. The only draw back is the surface rust in the boot caused by corroded taillight seals. The fuel gauge doesn't work 99.9% of the time and the speedo gets stuck at zero when driving the first 100m, then pops straight to my current speed. The dash cover over the cluster was loose ad broken. I knew the odometer was tempered with but the engine sounded really good and healthy. Transmission is my biggest worry because of a flare in the gear changes between 2nd and 3rd. Over-drive doesn't work at all, but at least the POWER light on the dash toggles on and off. I don't want to travel faster than 80km/h because I can't change down for lower revs and the aftermarket exhaust, put on from the previous owner, is loud. Not loud enough to get defected, but loud enough for the cops to look at me and laugh at my fake tuff sound. It was running very rich when i got it and had black stuff all over the back of my car from the exhaust. I always get people looking at my car and I can see the potential if I go far with the mods. Not all discoveries in this car have been bad. I found $2.20 and a half full cigarette lighter under the back seat. Immediately spent that at the next maccas run.
I did want to put a turbo in and convert to a manual. But after hanging out with friends and having a full car driving around Adelaide, I realized that I hate passengers. Family and some well known acquaintances are all that I'll have because my 'friends' don't respect my car, loud and are annoying. Only 1 close friend at a time will be allowed in my car. To help re-enforce my rule, I kept my back seat out of the car and just said that it was being cleaned.
I like to get a Nissan 180sx as my next car because I'd like to practice drifting one day and cause you can't get anyone in the back, so i'll just sell the back seat.
I am just touching up some of the black on the doors, mirrors and rear quarter garnish. I know for a Executive that its meant to be the base colour but this is just how it was when I got it. Some of the interior has scratches on them and I wanna be able to get rid of the rust in the boot. I would like to get rid of the rid myself, but if it ends up being to hard with the limited amount of tools and experience in what the hell I'm doing, then I'll have to get it done professionally. If anyone knows where to get it done, please private message me. I've also changed over the left side of the door handles to chrome instead of the body painted ones.
More to come later on.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Good solid project you have their mate. Getting rid of the rust isnt very hard. Use the wire brush fitting on a grinder for the surface rust very easy if you have no experience, a grinder for the deeper ones. Be weary of making holes, or big rust areas and you have no choice but to cut it out. Because then you will need to weld in new metal Not too fun for newbies!
Best of luck.
P.s if you dislike your friends, tell them to piss off! Lol Put your seat back in! LOL
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Should I do anything about the silver below the doors, because its not meant to be on a Executive? The previous owners have only sprayed painted the matching silver from the bumpers. Plus, they must have done a whole respray because they said it used to be maroon and I can't see any maroon colour anywhere. Seems like a pretty ****ty job because I can still see white undercoat in some areas.
0 likes
Yeah it doesnt look like it has calais lower door moulds, looks like its just painted silver. I would definitely paint it the original colour again. Otherwise it just looks cheap.
And the car has been resprayed, very dodgy job aswell. The way 1 door handle was painted and all the over spray. Must of been a back yard job.
0 likes
Nah the door handles were all red. I've only just changed them to chrome handles that I picked up from U-Pull-It. Were they meant to be chrome or black? Anyway, I've been putting my car on hold so I can fix my dads rims on his Subaru Liberty. It had gutter rash on all of them. Let me know if you wanna see some of the results of the rims.
---------- Post added 21-06-13 at 20:00 ----------
Btw, how do I get the side moulds off so I can respray underneath?
0 likes
Its a bit of a mission man.. There is alot of urethane there. I used a heat gun lightly to soften it up, then grabbed a corner and started lifting it off, whilst lifting I had a thin saw and I was cutting through the urethane. But that was my method, im sure other guys have done it differently. I believe its clipped in on some areas?. . Not sure.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
If someone could link me to a thread about removing the side moulds, that would be great. I can't seem to find a post about the removal because I'm probably using the wrong keywords. Otherwise I could just get them resprayed professionally to the original dark grey, but need to know how deep my pockets need to be.
0 likes
Get rid of the moulds, and put the sl style mx grey moulds back on. Looks way better, mock Calais' only look good when done 100% - this obviously isn't your fault but I'd b putting money into bringing back what it's supposed to be
Just my 2 cents worth
Its your car in the end
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLCommy88
[View Post]
If someone could link me to a thread about removing the side moulds, that would be great. I can't seem to find a post about the removal because I'm probably using the wrong keywords. Otherwise I could just get them resprayed professionally to the original dark grey, but need to know how deep my pockets need to be.
It is a headache of a job,YES! But very achievable by anybody. Its not rocket science!! Give it a go!. You will be fine, just be prepared to repaint the doors afterwards.
Even if you got it done professionally you would still need to repaint your doors, there is a lot of polyuerthain and double sided tape under there... And God knows what else considering its not their from factory.
The junky fuckface that owned my vl before me used silicon, urethane, super glue, double sided tape and some other adhesive shit to stick them on. Making it a mission for me to remove! LMAO
Once the molds are removed there is a lot of sanding! So be prepared.
0 likes
17-07-13, 15:52 GMT+10#10 Yea, I've been meaning to put it back to original but the other day someone offered to trade cars and it seems quite tempting.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morph...ute/1022242245 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morphett-vale/cars-vans-utes/vt-calais-gen3-swap-ute/1022242245)
VT calais for my vl? I've spoken to him about what he is planning to do with my car and he wants to slap a turbo in it and make it look like a sleeper. Anyone got any opinions about the vt calais? He wants a straight swap and sounds very 'excited' to see my car. Its my first time selling/trading a car so I dunno if that sounds fishy.
0 likes
31-07-13, 16:27 GMT+10#11 I was bored and decided to see what amy vl could look like with some JDM features.
Thoughts?
By the way, the guy who wanted to swap for my VL didn't even show up and haven't heard from him since. I reckon he just wanted to know where my car was. But he can't get it out of my garage because of my dads 06 liberty parked right behind the garage door.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
01-08-13, 00:30 GMT+10#12 Rule number 1 with suss buyers: Never give your address!
The jdm look is different, would like nice if the lip was at the bottom and not there. 15" Watanabes wouldnt look that big on your VL.
0 likes
01-08-13, 00:51 GMT+10#13 He seemed absolutely fine as a buyer and was at the point where he wanted to come have a look. I waited as long as possible to give him my address because of this exact situation.
The jdm spoiler is from a 72' Hakosuka Skyline, same with the wheels. It was just a quick little edit so I don't expect it to look perfect. I have been searching if any VLs have been done in a jdm style and I could only find one example. Unfortunately I can't find it again. It was a yellow bt1, or similar, on 15" watanabes.
In other news, I have decided to change the colour of the silver to the original grey, you guys would know what I mean and repaint the bottom of the doors to the body colour.
So, see ya in a few weeks with some updates...hopefully.
0 likes