Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Stock n/a internal fuel pump enough to feed 044?

Started by vinny mac · 14 May 2013 · 14 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

vinny macArchived member
My question to you guys is the stock n/a intank pump enough to feed a bosch 044? Converted turbo with stock t3 on 8psi, cooler, bosch 044,malpassi turbo comp and injectors. I ask because I took it for a spin before and seemed to run out of fuel top end of 2nd. Any thoughts?
0 likes
bachig24uArchived member
short answer is no, the intank can't feed an 044 by more than a litre a minute. if you install a 3L+ surge tank that the intank can fill, and the 044 feeds from and have the fuel rail return back to the surge tank and over flow the surge in to the main tank, then you have a solution. assuming that is the cause. then again you mentioned malpassi, tell me more about it.
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bachig24u [View Post] short answer is no, the intank can't feed an 044 by more than a litre a minute. if you install a 3L+ surge tank that the intank can fill, and the 044 feeds from and have the fuel rail return back to the surge tank and over flow the surge in to the main tank, then you have a solution. assuming that is the cause. then again you mentioned malpassi, tell me more about it. Just checked my pressure on the malpassi it seems to of dropped its on about 28 with vacuum line on and 40 if I take the vacuum line off. I'm sure I had it set higher then that. Ill bump it up a bit tomorrow and take it for another squirt and see how it goes. The malpassi is mounted near original fuel pressure reg and has the standard lines hooked upto it. Iv got the vacuum line running to one the comes off the back of the plenum
0 likes
VlTurboM8Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bachig24u [View Post] short answer is no, the intank can't feed an 044 by more than a litre a minute. if you install a 3L+ surge tank that the intank can fill, and the 044 feeds from and have the fuel rail return back to the surge tank and over flow the surge in to the main tank, then you have a solution. assuming that is the cause. then again you mentioned malpassi, tell me more about it. so a standard intank pump can fill the surge tank? doesn't have to be Walbro?
0 likes
yfullyArchived member
Are you 100% sure your intank pump is working
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Well it wouldn't go at all if it wasn't would it?
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vinny mac [View Post] Well it wouldn't go at all if it wasn't would it? yes it would. the main pump would essentially be drawing all of the fuel itself. often with the standard fuel system the lift pump dies before you realise, and the standard one keeps working. At least I'm pretty sure, or it just so happened that both my pumps died at the same time... anyway, if you're doing performance stuff... for the price of a decent walbro lift pump, why bother ****ing around?
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Yea I'm thinking you might be right about intank pump. Put the pressure up this morning and as soon as I hit boost I'd stalled, after many different fuel pressure settings and at least 10 stalls I ended puttin it back to stock pressure which is 28psi. It runs fine now but when I hit boost it will stall or a couple seconds after boost will stall when I take my foot off. I have noticed ever since I put my bosch 044 in the high pitched whine it makes is intermitant it's not receiving enough fuel or as if there is air in the fuel. I'm probly guna buy a walbro tomorrow unless I figure it out before then. Thoughts???????? ---------- Post added 15-05-13 at 16:09 ---------- And which walbro intank will suit my setup? ---------- Post added 15-05-13 at 16:11 ---------- And which walbro intank will suit my setup?
0 likes
bachig24uArchived member
what ratio is the Malpassi ? Wind it back to a dribble. 40psi @ atmosphere is too high on old RB injectors. they will spray the engine bay when you aren't looking. back it down to 26 -32. note: 36psi is stock but since you have delivery issues, the only thing keeping your motor alive is the fact its not making a great deal of HP yet. the high pitched whine is the 044 suffering, it will die.. do a flow test on the intank pump. usually the hoses are all deteriorated inside the tank from ethanol of fuel treatments or just old age.
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Thanks for that , not sure about the ratio. My Gregory's manual says fuel pressure should be 200kpa, which converts to about 28 correct me if I'm wrong? Yea in guna test the intank tomorrow to see if its working, if not what walbro should I replace it with?
0 likes
bachig24uArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VlTurboM8 [View Post] so a standard intank pump can fill the surge tank? doesn't have to be Walbro? a standard pump can fill a bath tub. it just takes time.
0 likes
yfullyArchived member
Car will run normal even if intank pump is not working At lower revs (load)ect. na cars you would never know Unless you always rev it to 6000 Check that first
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Well I put a walbro intank in, and it didn't fix the problem so I took the 044 out and put my stock external pump in and that didn't fix it. So if its bit fuel it must be spark. Ill pull the plugs out tomorrow and start from there. Do my problems fit the description of a cas?
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
from what ive seen if the car starts the cas should be ok. there either ok or stuffed. maybe the coil is breaking down up top ??? maybe chuck a stock fuel reg on
0 likes
vinny macArchived member
Yea might be worth a shot but it won't even get to high revs anymore even if I think about boosting it just dies. ---------- Post added 19-05-13 at 08:51 ---------- Did a diagnostic check and airflow meter and ignition signal came up. Changed the afm yesterday with a known working one so that cancels that out. What should I be looking into wit ignition signal? Coil? ---------- Post added 19-05-13 at 16:52 ---------- Well tried a couple of other coils and tried a couple of other power transistors and a different cas. Still the same problem, idles rough cbf driving it cuz I know it's guna stall. When I was pulling the cas I noticed that little silver disk was a bit farked, where the flat spit is to hold it in place it was warped and letting it spiny past the flat spot. Could this be the problem?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 355 images saved from CT