Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Need Help with Powersteering pump and battery

Started by bck2basic · 9 May 2013 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

bck2basicArchived member
I'm in the middle of a vl 5.0 efi conversion and I'm having a problem with the powersteering pump pulley hitting my battery, and I haven't even tensioned it. I've seen so many people leave the battery in the same spot for the vl 6 cylinder but I can't get any clearance. I've already cut the tray but its now fouling on the battery. The engine is a 185i from a vr clubsport, are there different pumps/brackets between vn and vr? I'd really like to avoid moving the battery to the boot. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Put the battery in the boot?
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
I'm trying to avoid that. I will eventually but have a bit of rust there at the moment and it gets moist in there
0 likes
TUR30Archived member
since you have already cut the battery tray I agree with 5spdvl put the battery in the boot I think also that the v8 vl battery tray are on the opposite side so mayb look how there done
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
+1 for battery in boot...
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Yes the vl v8 battery tray was on the otherside but that's where the airbox is on the efi motor. And as I said I'd rather not put the battery in the boot. Thanks
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Smaller battery?
0 likes
TUR30Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bck2basic [View Post] Yes the vl v8 battery tray was on the otherside but that's where the airbox is on the efi motor. And as I said I'd rather not put the battery in the boot. Thanks harrop single plane manifold 1200cfm throttle body would be my choice
0 likes
BOB18UArchived member
Rotate the battery so it's parallel with the guard. Might have to unpick the tray and re weld it into place.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by BOB18U [View Post] Rotate the battery so it's parallel with the guard. Might have to unpick the tray and re weld it into place. Yeah I think that's what il have to do, but I'm gonna try sliding the battery back a bit more first, by cutting out the other wall of the battery tray.
0 likes
YBJLS4Archived member
I would prefer a battery in the boot but your solutions seem like head fux, no offense i just went out and purchased a shorter belt easy fix, will prob cost ya 12 bux just go into supersh|t auto and find a belt with the same contour but in the length you need. I might get the part number for you if i get a chance to wonder into the shed
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
That would be awesome thanks mate. Was just gonna ask if you could
0 likes
YBJLS4Archived member
This is what i did Sorry mate but had a look in the garage but dont know what i did with the packet it came in. i 'apparently' kept it just incase it needed replacing ---------- Post added 11-05-13 at 12:00 ---------- even with the rocking of the motor it well and truly clears the battery floor plate ---------- Post added 11-05-13 at 12:06 ---------- you can see here how the 'non-factory- belt will still hold tension Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
Awesome. Ill just try and move the battery over a little more and go find a smaller belt. Thanks mate
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 8 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today60

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 472 images saved from CT