Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Opinions please

Started by cornchips · 3 Apr 2013 · 19 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

cornchipsArchived member
Hey guys I've been offered the opportunity to buy my friends turbo Calais it's a factory a8, mx7 Calais, maroon on silver, grey series 2 interior, dealer fitted 3way sunroof. Car is stock except for rear speakers fitted and after market cat back exhaust. I have known all the owners from new, Paint is mint, engine gear box and turbo rebuilt (stock) all books etc.. My issue is- rite car at wrong time if I buy it I will need to store it until my berlina resto is complete. So what I'm asking is do you think this would be a desirable combo in the future and be worth some $? and worth the hassle of finding the funds to buy and store now? Please don't ask for photos (or my buy price lets just say its fair) as it's not my car yet car is in mint original condition. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
tzatzikiArchived member
its a honest, clean Calais turbo. bubble wrap it. and it will go up in value in the future!!!!
0 likes
aus880Archived member
sounds good to me
0 likes
jetsonracArchived member
It's an immac car Shane. Like we discussed just buy it. It's only money lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AVG45Archived member
Sounds pretty good... That's all anyone can tell you mate. Whether or not it eventually ends up earning you any money is anyones guess. In 2 years, 5 years, 10 years (who knows) there could be an oldschool member off here searching for exactly what you've got in your garage... Or on the other hand, in 10 years, every person off here who once loved VL's has grown up and realised, chances are, the Calais Turbos, Berlina Turbos etc, are never gonna make anyone any money! I mean in all honestly how many Holdens/Fords in the past that are not any sort of special model, have become highly sought after "collectables"? Either way, would be nice to own a quality, unmodified Calais Turbo. And if it's for sale at a good price and you know its history and that it's a 100% good buy, take the opportunity.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Buy it now, or live with the regret later
0 likes
*LOACH*Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 5spdvl [View Post] Buy it now, or live with the regret later 1000000x this. I have passed up on a couple of cars I really wish I had bought and regret to this day. Whereas most of the cars I have bought I have forgotten how much they cost. While most VLs aren't going to go up in value much they aren't going to depreciate either. There are a lot worse things you could be spending your money on.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Or let me buy it haha. Honestly if you are going to appreciate the car, you know the history buy it. As for dollars, I paid $9K for mine and it was tidy but not perfect at all. Between $15K-$20K for a showroom clean car.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Buy now, think later lol But seriously if you pass this up, you will regret it later
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
If you're buying it for a 'fair' price you can always sell it later at a more premium price and make some money off it at the worst. Vl's like that are getting harder to come by.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Do not buy it, you will not like it. Give me his number and i will buy it.
0 likes
cornchipsArchived member
Thanks guys, I appreciate ur input. I'm not buying the car with the hopes/ intention to make money off it, (I just love vlts) but its more of a hassle atm to store it etc ( I already have 2) I mainly wanted to make sure if I ever did have to sell it would fetch a decent price. I realise it's all dependent on the condition of the car etc but the mx7 Calais combo seems a bit rare? So thought it might demand some higher $ Anyways I will post some pics if I go ahead and buy it Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SRB 747Archived member
Buy it Shane, store it for a while then ill swap you my bt1 Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ltzfli87Archived member
!!!
0 likes
Stock_87Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] Or let me buy it haha. Between $15K-$20K for a showroom clean car. Are you talking about VLs ?
0 likes
stealthArchived member
If it's a fair price, buy it. It's true they are getting rarer to find with those specs. I let an opportunity pass by to purchase a low km unmodified HDT Calais Turbo LE about 7 years ago. I regret it because I know this opportunity will never come up again
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Stock_87 [View Post] Are you talking about VLs ? Naaaa his talking about a house deposit Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
ah HR x2 premier is worth money. as are VH SLE's with 308's. even WB deville's with 350's are now pulling money. nopt to mention brougham's that have skyrocketed recently. in short a luxury model with the big engine will always be a sought after collectable car. compare the wb deville to a hj kingy, or a hr premier x2 to a special with a 179 and 3 on the tree. or the VH SLE to a 4cyl VB in butternut yellow and manual... the calais with roof and turbo will be a good buy. ---------- Post added 30-04-13 at 18:28 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by AVG45 [View Post] Or on the other hand, in 10 years, every person off here who once loved VL's has grown up and realised, chances are, the Calais Turbos, Berlina Turbos etc, are never gonna make anyone any money! I mean in all honestly how many Holdens/Fords in the past that are not any sort of special model, have become highly sought after "collectables"? . in respoinse to this
0 likes
GM.0870Archived member
It's not everyday you stumble across something like this... BUY IT AND HAVE NO REGRET
0 likes
cornchipsArchived member
Guys I have to pass on it I know I will regret it but it's a case of the rite car at the wrong time for me so if any of you are keen and serious not just tire kicking!! pm me and I will pass on the guys number, be prepared tho it's a good car (needs a little tlc but the guy knows what there worth) so don't expect a cheap buy Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 225 images saved from CT