Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

VT style windscreen rubber - will it do the job?

Started by BigM22 · 11 Mar 2013 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

BigM22Archived member
I've been reading up on the use of the newer type windscreen seal to stop the spread of rust that is common to VLs, Once repaired, will it completely stop rust returning? Or just slow it down? Is there anything else that can be done in combination with it? I've done a search and I can't seem to find a confirming answer Cheers
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
of course it is still possible for the cowl panel to rust. it also depends on how the rust has been "fixed"
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Ill go ahead and say repaired properly
0 likes
PWR 747Archived member
repaired properly and windscreen prefessionally fitted, if it ever rusts again it would be a long time. Ive done this on my daily and imo looks heaps better. You do know your going to have holes in your roof that are going to need to be filled which usually requires the roof to be painted?
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Had it done on my old Calais and after 4 years before I sold it there was no signs of rust returning. Of course having the repair done properly will help too. And I agree it looks better than the original seal.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PWR 747 [View Post] repaired properly and windscreen prefessionally fitted, if it ever rusts again it would be a long time. Ive done this on my daily and imo looks heaps better. You do know your going to have holes in your roof that are going to need to be filled which usually requires the roof to be painted? My VL is getting a respray in the next few months so the plan is to fix all the rust anyway, but yes I was aware of that ---------- Post added 12-03-13 at 14:28 ---------- Thanks for the feedback guys
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
Quote: I've been reading up on the use of the newer type windscreen seal to stop the spread of rust that is common to VLs Windscreens O'Brien have a moulding to fit a VL, I got one fitted to mine about 9 years ago when I had a new windscreen fitted, the only thing is they have to cut the windscreen out to do it and there is a risk the windscreen may crack. What we found on my first VL was Holden install metal clips to hold the windscreen in position in the factory, this is why VL's rust out in this area, a glazier will use small rubber blocks to do that. I depends on how bad the rust is, I welded metal plates into my VL 10 years ago through the roof, boot ,front & rear windscreen sills, after sitting outside for 4 years, rust is coming through on the drivers side on the windscreen now. That's when I was strapped for cash and that car was my daily driver, now I wish to purchase a brand new front sill from E-bay for $220 (ouch !!). That sill has drain holes in it to allow water to escape, I think replacing the sill is the only way to fix the rust problem up properly. What we at home have in the road of us at the moment is a wreck of a VN Commodore wagon in the car port, a project my brother never pursued,to rebuild that, even though my dad went to all the trouble of welding in a new radiator support for him after someone crashed into him. There is a body of a 1991 model Camry sitting right next to the VL (the Camry is written off) when my other brother borrowed it off my dad,yeah, he ran an orange light (we got it given to us by a friend when they ran it low on oil, fitted another motor and they couldn't get it going), I don't think exhaust manifold gasket material makes a good sump gasket. Move them out of the road and then the VL has shelter and my dad has space to put in a vegie patch where "they" were. Yeah, the VL is still alright but they thought I was going in 2008, a lot of that stuff with that car is just cosmetic, perhaps the motor may also be a bit worn by now.
0 likes
jetsonracArchived member
^^^ wtf ?
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
First half of reply: Helpful Second half: WTF
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
From what I've seen all RB30DEVLs posts are like that... ^
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Yeh I've noticed, wonder why
0 likes
jetsonracArchived member
He's got a lot to say lol
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today46

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 354 images saved from CT