Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Berlina turbo project

Started by NZBerlina · 7 Mar 2013 · 17 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

NZBerlinaArchived member
Hey Im Alex, I have a 1988 RB30E Berlina which I have a few plans for. Have owned it now for roughly a year and just recently bought a turbo set up for it. So far I've put interceptors on it, super low springs all round and put disc brakes on the rear. Future plans are to put on the turbo set up and get it certified, once certified I'll probably take it off and run it NA again till I'm able to afford new 7.8:1 pistons and do it all properly. I also plan to change out the auto and get a 25det gearbox as well as getting a 28 spline lsd (not that their easy to find), although I do still have a VN diff laying around but Ive read they are wider than the standard VL diffs and wont fit? Anyway here it is when i first bought it. And heres the turbo i bought, is a garret t25 Just a bit confused about the oil lines, one loops around and both lines have running nuts on the end of the bundi tube, what are these ment to connect to? And does anyone know how readily available oil drain fittings are for this turbo? Thanks guys, Alex. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZMikeArchived member
Good stuff, Love to see more vlts in chch. Cant really help with the oil lines as mine is in bits all over the place at the moment. :-P
0 likes
NZ_BT1Archived member
another local good to see Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZBerlinaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZMike [View Post] Good stuff, Love to see more vlts in chch. Cant really help with the oil lines as mine is in bits all over the place at the moment. :-P Haha, all good. Think a few peoples vls are like that. Anyway today my oil / water lines turned up but the drain flange that came with the kit is a 38mm bolt spacing and mines 44mm, think what ill do is elongate the holes to suit. Its alloy so shouldn't be too bad. Next on my list is to get an exhaust made up, should i be putting the turbo on now as is and drive to a exhaust shop with it ending at the dump or take it to the shop without the turbo on and getting them to make it up first then fit the turbo? Also does anyone know if ill be required to get drive shaft loops to get it certified?? Cheers, Alex. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZMikeArchived member
I may be wrong about this but wont the dump pipe connect straight up with the na exhaust? either way you will want a larger exhaust if you are still running factory. Best option really would be to tow it to the exhaust shop with the turbo on. Pretty sure you will need the loops to get cert.
0 likes
SIKVLTArchived member
Sweet build and yes you need drive shaft loops
0 likes
VL-DanArchived member
Good work man Incase you weren't aware that turbo and manifold setup is originally off an RB20ET. It will fit your engine no worries, but the turbo is designed for a 2L engine so may not have much punch on an RB30 Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ZOO222Archived member
nice work man. might wanna look at getting and rb25det turbo if you can
0 likes
NZBerlinaArchived member
Loving all the feedback. At the moment I'm not really looking for big numbers, just wanting to get it certified then ill move onto getting a different manifold, turbo and sorting the internals to be able to handle it better. Not really a fan of running 9:1, feel like im asking for trouble. Especially with the standard na diff and auto box lol. I rang magoo and the guy there reckoned it will be between 850-1200 for a full 3inch depending on what resonators i want to run, sounds a bit steep to me. What do you guys think? He also said I can buy drive shaft loops from jap race and then just fit them. Quote: Originally Posted by NZMike [View Post] I may be wrong about this but wont the dump pipe connect straight up with the na exhaust? either way you will want a larger exhaust if you are still running factory. Best option really would be to tow it to the exhaust shop with the turbo on. Pretty sure you will need the loops to get cert. I was hoping the same thing, but the dump pipe off the turbo is in a different place to the na exhaust and the stud pattern is different also. Ill put up a pic of the na exhaust and the dump pipe setup later in the week.
0 likes
NZMikeArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZBerlina [View Post] I rang magoo and the guy there reckoned it will be between 850-1200 for a full 3inch depending on what resonators i want to run, sounds a bit steep to me. What do you guys think? He also said I can buy drive shaft loops from jap race and then just fit them. Exhaust go for just a single highflow muffler. My exhaust is 2.5inch from dump to a 3inch highflow with just a 3inch out the back. The previous owner couldn't afford a full 3 inch all the way and it already had a 2.5 full on it before hand. Going to get my uncle to finish it off as well as sort out intercooler piping. Aaron (NZ_BT1) has like 3 all the way to a massive cannon muffler at the end. I'm sure he will be willing to show it off for you. My setup is a lot less in your face though :-P As for price i'm pretty sure on my old vl magoo quoted me like $500 just to remove the rear muffler and put on a dump tip. That's my only experience with magoo. Shop around might be able to get something made up cheaper. Also if you are going to convert back to na later i'm assuming you are going to be keeping the n/a exhaust as well then? don't think the n/a will like the 3inch very much.
0 likes
westburyArchived member
http://www.rage.co.nz/New%20Site/web.../products.html (http://www.rage.co.nz/New%20Site/web-content/products.html) rage do full 3'' vlt systems i think they were about 1g should pretty much bolt up just need to make the bit were the cat goes
0 likes
NZ_GTSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZBerlina [View Post] I rang magoo and the guy there reckoned it will be between 850-1200 for a full 3inch depending on what resonators i want to run, sounds a bit steep to me. What do you guys think? He also said I can buy drive shaft loops from jap race and then just fit them. That does seem pretty steep. My exhaust is pretty quiet (it's what I wanted), 2.5 inch all the way. Engine came with the dump pipe, so just got the exhaust made up from there. Sometimes I wish the exhaust was louder, but I do a lot of long distance trips, so I think its probably just right. From memory I paid around the $800 mark. You'll need two driveshaft loops, and you shouldn't really pay any more than $60 each for them. You need to modify them quite a bit to fit the VL, especially the front one. I think i cam up with a fairly good solution, I can dig out a pic for ya if you want.
0 likes
NZBerlinaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZMike [View Post] Also if you are going to convert back to na later i'm assuming you are going to be keeping the n/a exhaust as well then? don't think the n/a will like the 3inch very much. Thats a very good point lol, might just have to run it quietly on standard boost and try not to mince my diff and gearbox. Quote: Originally Posted by NZ_GTS [View Post] That does seem pretty steep. My exhaust is pretty quiet (it's what I wanted), 2.5 inch all the way. Engine came with the dump pipe, so just got the exhaust made up from there. Sometimes I wish the exhaust was louder, but I do a lot of long distance trips, so I think its probably just right. From memory I paid around the $800 mark. You'll need two driveshaft loops, and you shouldn't really pay any more than $60 each for them. You need to modify them quite a bit to fit the VL, especially the front one. I think i cam up with a fairly good solution, I can dig out a pic for ya if you want. That would be awesome if you could find a pic of what you needed to do, would make my life that bit easier ! Today I picked up new 290mm rotors, new wheel bearings and performance brake pads then as I was fitting them found out that my NA calipers cant fit the 290mm rotors under them haha. So i bought some V8/turbo calipers and should hopefully arrive through the week, I'll be picking up some seal kits and will be re-kitting them as well before use Has anyone had problems with their ignition switch before with VLs? ive had mine apart twice and it fixes itself for a bit but then starts to not start every now and then, thinking maybe its a common fault? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZBerlinaArchived member
Okay so this weekend I got all my bits to put on my 290mm rotors and turbo/v8 brakes in and im quite happy with how they look and turned out. Few pics Old brakes / rotors New brakes / rotors And a size comparison of the new and old. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIKVLTArchived member
Good stuff you will notice the difference with the new brakes !
0 likes
NZBerlinaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIKVLT [View Post] Good stuff you will notice the difference with the new brakes ! I do notice the difference but think I will defiantly need to get a 1" master cylinder to get the full potential out of them, there has been a bit of travel in the pedal since I put disc brakes on the rear.
0 likes
SIKVLTArchived member
yip fresh fluid and the 1" is a must do
0 likes
NZ_bt1vltArchived member
woah there is a huge difference in brake size good stuff
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today47

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 355 images saved from CT