Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Ipad as a head unit

Started by b1ancardi · 4 Mar 2013 · 8 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

b1ancardiArchived member
This is my setup currently; Alpine CDE-133BT head unit, set to bluetooth mode, with audio coming from an ipad. Basically I dont have to touch the head unit, as the ipad takes care of all my audio needs anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6i8N...ature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6i8NHiiQ68&feature=youtu.be) I wouldnt mind creating an actual integrated ipad mount into the dash, but I'll do some sketches or photoshops to see what works. But so far, this is perfect.
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Not bad at all, your mount looks fairly secure, what'd you use for that? Legality wise? I'm sure the cops wouldn't be too impressed. But I completely see why you did it, I'm looking into mounting a nexus 7 or something like that into my dash at the moment. I want the GPS though, so I'll probably be looking at something like Mirrorlink
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
not a bad idea, not something I would do myself but I like it. You could easily make a remote face plate for you alpine to sit in the sunglasses holder. This way you will have visibility and access to your Alpine controls and potentially sit the ipad further back. This will also allow you to mount the head unit in an alternative location (under seat, glove box, boot) and faceplate in the sunglasses holder.You could also then make a more permanent fit of the ipad in the dash. keep us updated with your progress mate.
0 likes
b1ancardiArchived member
I like that idea. I didn't think you could remote mount the face plate.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
it requires some modification to mount the face plate, and use cable (ribbon cable is an option) in series between the head unit and faceplate connections. This should only require some basic soldering skills and create a plate to mount the HU faceplate in the sunglasses holder.
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
Here's another take on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4
0 likes
brockzilaArchived member
Ive thought about doing that, its cool glad someone did it
0 likes
BaxArchived member
I'm leaning more and more towards doing a nexus 7 install. No spare cash though
0 likes
Kasman88Archived member
This isn't a bad idea, wonder if we can move the heater controls and remove ashtray to sit iPad in there permanently..
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 227 images saved from CT