Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

3000 rpm idle, help

Started by bigrob · 19 Feb 2013 · 8 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

bigrobArchived member
Dunno if anyone's even on this forum any more. I recently replaced my old engine with a new one and it ran fine for a few hundred kms, but my 30e started idling at 3000rpm the other day, make it a bit of a pain to drive believe me. I searched the internet and it wasn't very useful, as far as I can tell I don't have a vac leak, I replaced ficd and aac valves with ones I know work, unplugged all the sensors trying to isolate what's causing it, nothing doing. It's being a little more than frustrating. Checked afm, ficd, aac, cts, tps, hell even the o2 sensor, unplugging any of them does nothing. Any ideas? Car's on dual fuel (absolutely hate it), does the same on both petrol and gas. Pretty much any help is appreciated
0 likes
swifty!Archived member
Check in this order... -idle adjust screw (on the throttle body, NOT the sensor) -vacuum leaks -ecu idle screw -tps
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
I'll triple check, but the weird thing is that it was running fine, and suddenly started doing it while I was driving. So ecu screw wouldn't have changed, neither would the idle screw on the tb. I'll swap the tps over too, and check for vacuum leaks again, plus I'm going to plug my nistune ecu from my other car in and check for errors, hopefully I can isolate it. Any other ideas welcome
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Is your throttle cable loose or tight?? Unplug your ACC valve & see if it makes a difference.
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
loose at the moment, I'll take off the intake piping to make sure the tb isn't sticking open, and unplugging it doesn't change anything. Understand why I'm stumped?
0 likes
swifty!Archived member
My tb screw suddenly changed one day. Srsly check it.
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by swifty! [View Post] My tb screw suddenly changed one day. Srsly check it. haha fancy saying that, the nut came off the tb adjuster, and the vibration of the engine brought it up, apparently happened to one of my mates on the dyno too, who would have guessed. The one thing I didn't even consider checking. So it's all sorted now
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
Quote: started idling at 3000rpm the other day IAC or cold start valve stuck open? Throttle body butterfly seized & stuck open? Try crimping off the bypass hose for the IAC / cold start valve to see if that's the problem, if that doesn't change the idle speed, it's probably a seized or partially seized throttle butterfly, it has to be something simple like that.
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
^^problem solved man, thanks. TB locknut came off
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today64

4,840 threads, 30,141 posts and 499 images saved from CT

14.1% of indexed threads saved