Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Alloytec in VL

Started by RB30DEVL · 28 Jan 2013 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

RB30DEVLArchived member
I wrote a thread on this a while back and I was thinking of going this way with the VL, since Holden make a good engine now (my granddad has got 271,000 kms out of his VZ without a problem), though stretched timing chains are to a VZ as what cracked heads were to the Nissan RB30 in the VL, I've never cracked a head on an RB30. Wrecks of VZ's seem to be cropping up everywhere but most are automatic , here's a basic run down of what would be needed to put even the 175kw motor in, I think that would fly in a VL, someone has fitted one of these motors to a VL Calais so it's not an original swap :- - AY6 Aisin Warner 6 speed transmission (if I could find one), probably could find one out of a Lexus IS200 or something at the Japanese wreckers. - Standard 3.45:1 VL Commodore diff fitted with LSD centre (preferrably 4 pinion), if fitting the 6 speed manual. - Modified front tailshaft (to mate up to 6 speed manual) - Headers modified to couple up to the VL's 2.5 inch exhaust system - adjustable fuel pressure regulator fitted under the car (Tee'd off to tank) , VZ system is a non- return type. - Splice all the wiring & loom into the existing VL's wiring (same as I did with the R33 electrics) - Speedo adapter (to run Alloytec computer & standard VL dash) All of the parts including the fly by wire throttle will come with the donor car, if I didn't fit the manual and stuck with the 4 speed auto, the things I would probably have to change are :- Front tailshaft section, one from a VN - VS automatic Commodore would probably fit and the TH700R yoke should fit that transmission. 3.08:1 diff gears, probably would try to chase up a VK-VL V8 diff, the yoke probably could be changed over on the VK diff unless the splines are different, there is a lot of variation in the Salisbury's in the Commodores. I was looking at Dellow or CRS (CRS have gone into receivership) for a conversion kit to fit a Toyota 5 speed to the Alloytec but the most they do is up the ECOTEC and Holden V8 (Not LS1) ,probably could use the auto bell housing off the Alloytec and make something up from that. Yeah, I've probably have to make something up myself.
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
honestly mate for all that effort you should do an ls1 or something decent
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
I honestly dont know why youd bother...
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by RB30DEVL [View Post] since Holden make a good engine now There's a problem already with that statement Dont waste your time with an engine like that +1 for the LS1 idea at least they pack a bit of punch
0 likes
vlwagzArchived member
+1 for an ls1 conversion
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Why would you consider putting a salisbury 3.08 diff in a VL?
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Just buy a vz mate. Holden put them in the cars for you. And there not old rusty buckets of... You own a VL deal accept it or move on. Talk and though are useless unless u take action. Do what ever you want key word DO. Don't dare to dream dare to get up, get real, and take action. Iv done it then I got real n sold it lol didn't fit my change in lifestyle.
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
mmmmmm
0 likes
AlthoatsArchived member
gay
0 likes
AVG45Archived member
Gayyyyy
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Should Put an L67 in it (V6 Ecotec super charged motor motor) I recon that would be easier and go better too!
0 likes
YetiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Should Put an L67 in it (V6 Ecotec super charged motor motor) I recon that would be easier and go better too! Not sure if serious........
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Should Put an L67 in it (V6 Ecotec super charged motor motor) I recon that would be easier and go better too! In that case he should just slap a t3 on the rb30
0 likes
sle3perArchived member
making power with a t3 and a few little goodies is soooooooo much easier. to many people dare to be differnt, which if not done properly just makes you a lost case.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today1

12,661 threads, 100,272 posts and 1,279 images saved from CT

37.0% of indexed threads saved