Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

3540 internal waste gate and boost control

Started by TUXEDO · 13 Jan 2013 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TUXEDOArchived member
Hi guys. I am currently putting together a new engine combo for my VL and the hot side consists of a 6boost manifold and an internally gated GT3582 (.70 front, 1.06 rear) and I want to run around 28-30 psi. Will this be doable (reliably) or should I look at converting it to a bigger, external waste gate? Cheers, Locky.
0 likes
madrexArchived member
I would go big external gate at that boost mate to control it nicer small internal gate mite spike like crazy at that level
0 likes
VLT87KalArchived member
can you not modify internal wastegates to be better suited?? im in the same direction as you tuxedo wanting to keep internal
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Your issue will be if the gate can flow enough gas to control the boost level, you might find at those levels on a big single cammer that it will creep up high. Does it have a big head and cam package? Might run out of turbo before those boost levels anyway.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
The head has been ported, not massively though and I'm thinking a Wade 1147c.
0 likes
RB2GOArchived member
Needs an external 100%. Mine could not control boost at all with a ported internal gate. Even if it would in theory work at high boost levels your not going to start tuning it with big boost in
0 likes
VLT87KalArchived member
how much psi do most internal 3540s start playing up
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
no internal gate, no wade 1147c
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
What cam do you recommend Darren? Will it be ok for me just to weld the flap shut and run an external gate? Or should I change housings? I want to do easy 10's.
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Replace the rear housing. They don't cost much these days, and I'd probably run a 50mm gate too, if you plan on running decent boost that should be able to control it. I ran a crow tx2 in my old set up, can't complain about it. Although everyone will tell you something different, speak to your tuner!
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
The rear housing cost $550+ new from GCG. I was leaning towards a Turbosmart Pro-Gate 50 but they're also pricey. Tial gates have a nicer price lol, are they any good?
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
I have a 4 bolt 1.06 ex gate rear housing here..you can have it for $150 if you want it or you can just weld the gate up. if you had the turbo on a stocky manifold, it might be worth trying internal gate, but seeing as your got 6boost you might as well finish it of how the car deserves to be. Cam wise TX2 or such would be much nicer, can't see that combo going slower than 10.5 ..and better with practice and final sorting of combo...combos like that working perfect just dip into the 9's cheers darren
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
PM sent
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Well said Darren. My setup was tx2, 1.06 rear, 50mm turbosmart pro gate and with the glide and 5500 stall it flashed to 4600, was on full song when it came off the converter and 3 seconds on the transbrake. Just under 300rwkw on 16psi, boost controller played up couldn't go any higher. It was an awesome street combo. Do it tux!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today64

4,830 threads, 30,104 posts and 499 images saved from CT

14.1% of indexed threads saved