Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

3D models of VLs

Started by TheChad · 12 Jan 2013 · 9 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TheChadArchived member
Hi guys, I'm just curious because I know they are out there... Does anyone have any accurate 3 dimensional models of VLs? I am looking to have a play with one to generate some data on the aerodynamics. I am a mech eng student, with an intern ship at a global mining company that is likely to carry me through for the next couple of years. I am being trained CFD, essentially flow modelling. I am not looking to start a business or pay for models, I will be doing all of this work at uni in my own time. If people are ok with me using their work I will publish the results for everyone to see on CT. I do not have the time, nor the patience to try and model a VL properly myself, so I need a model to import to use. Even a rough one will be useful. Please let me know if you have one or know of anyone. Alternatively, if you know a business that has something like this please mention them, I will contact them. Cheers Jack ---------- Post added 12-01-13 at 19:45 ---------- Essentially this is what I am talking about: http://www.engr.utexas.edu/features/formula1cfd But much more basic, to start off with. I should be able to accurately find out, for any given speed, the lift, drag and downforce easily. I will also do a study for wing heights to measure the usefulness and height requirements.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
alternatively, does anyone have any high quality photos of a VL from the top down? like directly above? With a decent above, side and front shot, provided they are perfectly square, I could make an accurate model
0 likes
TRB006Archived member
Hey Jack, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone putting up a link to a video of a cad drawn VL doing a burnout, might have been xAsh-, maybe shoot him a pm..
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
I have spoken to him already, he was my first port of call. I dont believe he has anything I could use just yet. In terms of a 3d model I believe he is working in something big and very accurate, while I am looking for something simple. That's not to say I couldnt use a highly detailed model, the more accurate the better, however right now I'll take whatever is out there. Essentially at this stage all I need is a large block roughly shaped like a VL, from that I will begin to manipulate the model when I need to. Even if anyone knows any important measurements... I could use them!
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
This is what your after mate.... http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=255055
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
VLT222 on here has a Cousin that did that 3D animation and the other renders of the VL Thread here http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...98#post2919198 (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?p=2919198#post2919198) ---------- Post added 14-01-13 at 17:56 ---------- Beat me to it, Here's his website Slave Popovski https://sites.google.com/site/pslavi/home Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
That guy has some epic talent! If I can get the shapes off him I can work with that.
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
i like how the STIG is driving haha
0 likes
wlk21Archived member
this would be good to import into one of those 3d printers...little plastic vl calais replica
0 likes
ILIOVArchived member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwzDZKCkkM
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today82

6,372 threads, 42,641 posts and 621 images saved from CT

18.6% of indexed threads saved