Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Vl turbo EPA notice!!

Started by Gouldy · 11 Jan 2013 · 40 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

GouldyArchived member
G'day guys 14 months ago I bought a vl turbo unregd today I went to register it they told me I couldn't as it had an outstanding EPA notice on it what's involved in getting this notice off the car as I've put everything back to standard any info would b greatly appreciated
0 likes
ROB2019Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Gouldy [View Post] G'day guys 14 months ago I bought a vl turbo unregd today I went to register it they told me I couldn't as it had an outstanding EPA notice on it what's involved in getting this notice off the car as I've put everything back to standard any info would b greatly appreciated Don't quote me . I think u need to contact the EPA and arrange an inspection / noise test maybe an emission test . Not sure if u can drive unregistered there but possibly u can I'd ask the RMS.
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
Rms?
0 likes
ROB2019Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Gouldy [View Post] Rms? I'm in nsw . The RTA is now RMS here
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Yeah ya need to contact them an find out why it was epa'd and then return what ever they picked on back to standard so they will lift it. Me little bro got epa'd in his old z32 300zx for being too loud an low, we put new mufflers on it an adjusted the springs back up to legal ride height an done. If like you said you've put every thing back to standard you should have no dramas mate. The EPA are the bad guys even compared to the high way patrol cops, if they go over ya car an its modified your gone.
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
I've heard from a few people if your building a high powered rb30 or any sort of engine to run e85 and they'll stay off ur back is there any truth to that
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Don't no bud, I heard the same about lpg
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
all bullsh1t..
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
No probs thnx morgz
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
Having the factory gear on will make it pass, if it's all in good order and your emissions are within regulations. If you took a highly modified VL in running on E85 or LPG it would fail, simply because a modified computer is illegal, same as ext wastegates and the like. Even if you're running LPG they'll make you run a cat to pass - even though it doesn't do the same role on a vehicle running LPG - it was there from factory, so it needs to be on there to pass the regs. It's a pain.
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
So hard to have a modified car these days
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
You can pass with a aftermarket ECU Morgz, not that it matters they don't check WOT emissions. You just need to meet the original emissions levels. E85 is easier as it has a lower emission of one kind, same with LPG. The biggest problem is most fully sick tuners don't actually have a clue on what they are doing when it comes to tuning to counter emissions laws. Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] Having the factory gear on will make it pass, if it's all in good order and your emissions are within regulations. If you took a highly modified VL in running on E85 or LPG it would fail, simply because a modified computer is illegal, same as ext wastegates and the like. Even if you're running LPG they'll make you run a cat to pass - even though it doesn't do the same role on a vehicle running LPG - it was there from factory, so it needs to be on there to pass the regs. It's a pain.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Yeah that's true, they twin turbo'd a new v8 commodore an pass'd emissions tests.
0 likes
TurbroArchived member
I passed a full emissions check with my vl as it is in the pic below. took alot of documentation and messing around to get it to pass. Main changes was the 0.5 comp cover and plugged in the stock ecu. Doable but lots of mucking around. ---------- Post added 14-01-13 at 17:34 ---------- If you got all the stock gear back on, and all the emmisions stuff is operating correctly make an appointment at the EPA tester in werribbee. Try speak to a guy called tony, he is really helpful. I sent him emails back and forth for over a month to make sure my car meets the requirements Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
I wonder if your allowed to have a high mounted turbo in vic?
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
Yeah I'm booked in 2 c tony ---------- Post added 14-01-13 at 23:47 ---------- I can't believe how crazy it is 2 pass an EPA test
0 likes
YEEHAAArchived member
Whats involved fellas? If you attempt it and fail are you then on the radar with them? Probably different rules for NSW as well.
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] I wonder if your allowed to have a high mounted turbo in vic? SMRFY above is a VIC car but yeah I don't know how they go about it, i'd say it would still have to be engineered, I guess talk to Niko on how he went about it.
0 likes
giantbrandonArchived member
should always do a check with vic rds before buying anycar, they check if the car has finance owing or writen off
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
Vicroads r a bunch of clowns I rang em 3 times and they told me the car has a clear title so I bought it then this happened!lol
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today31

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 217 images saved from CT