Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

HELP Front wheels keep going out of alignment!

Started by VLCT88 · 11 Jan 2013 · 12 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLCT88Archived member
Hi, I have recently replaced ALL the suspension in my VL, that is adjustable coilovers, adjustable radius rods, adjustable strut tops, larger sway bar, new lower control arms and link pins. Now I took it to a suspension shop to get it all setup, which they did but were unable to test it on the road as the car wasnt registered and by the time I put it on the trailer, went home, took it off the trailer and put it in the shed the wheel alignment was out (wheels facing inwards). I then realigned it by eye (using the tierod ends) so it was close and drove it to the end of the street and back and when I got back the alignment was out again (this time wheels facing outwards) Correct me if I am wrong but it can only be a steering rack issue? Anybody had a similar problem or got any ideas? Cheers
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Yeah...maybe? Rack is skipping teeth? You should be able to replicate it on a hoist/jack stands
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Any other idea, with the car off the ground and wheels off everything seems to be firm and tignt...
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Makes me thing it was correct and you adjusted it out,You should of test drivin it. Marty
0 likes
GTS-213Archived member
Double check the steering rack mount bushes because if they are rooted it will allow the rack to move left and right depending on which way the steering wheel is at full lock.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by GTS-213 [View Post] Double check the steering rack mount bushes because if they are rooted it will allow the rack to move left and right depending on which way the steering wheel is at full lock. But that would not let both wheels move away from each other Both would go the same way. Marty Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ss nut [View Post] Makes me thing it was correct and you adjusted it out,You should of test drivin it. Marty I agree
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ss nut [View Post] Makes me thing it was correct and you adjusted it out,You should of test drivin it. Marty Certainly wasnt correct prior to adjustment... it was pushing the ramps outwards on the car trailer and felt the same driving it as it did after I made the adjustments
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
I ment after the shop had adjusted it. Cheers Marty
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ss nut [View Post] I ment after the shop had adjusted it. Cheers Marty So did I... it was driven on the trailer and off the trailer when taken for a tune (which was after it had been aligned) and it was pushing the ramps outwards and the tuner went to take it for a drive and the front end was way out. So something is causing the front end to move out of alignment
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Take it back to them and ask them to fix it.
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
if you have adjustable strut tops they may be slipping, i know that happened on mine a few times
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vltrb-0 [View Post] if you have adjustable strut tops they may be slipping, i know that happened on mine a few times Thanks for the helpful info mate I will suss them tonight...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today38

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 273 images saved from CT