Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

88' VL Worth 'Doing Up'

Started by TheAttack · 8 Jan 2013 · 7 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TheAttackArchived member
Hi guys, I've owned an old 88 NA Calais for a while now, bought off a mate who used to daily drive it before he let it sit for far to long and now we are here today. To the point, it needs a new internal fuel pump, otherwise it runs pretty well. It hasn't been given any love for quite a while and shes being used as a shelf/bench in the shed currently, which is a very distressing sight for me. I also had some d***head break my RL tail lights, a driver side mirror torn completely off and scratched my paint down the side (looks like its been keyed) and the boots got a **** tonne of scratches from people dumping stuff on it. I'd love to get my old girl back on the road but the list of work to be done just keeps putting me off, can anyone here speak from personal experience or just give me some advice as to what I should do, I'm an apprentice Auto Sparky so I don't have all the money in the world. I could get the pump in and have it running again, strip the interior right out and clean it all up as best I can and I know a few workshops that will do me a half decent respray for a few cartons of piss. The brakes need some attention and a little bit stuff here and there to pass a RWC. I can just see myself running into endless troubles but I guess that's just expected with such an old car. I'd just love to have it on the road again without breaking the bank to bad. Can anyone show some love or advice for the old VL's and maybe get my head in the right direction. Sorry if this post gives some people the sh*ts, I've just hit a dead end. (PS. Im supposed to be saving some money before I tick up a 20-25k car in August haha) Thanks in advance.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
If you've got the space to store it and work on it bit by bit/as you can afford it, then why not? A lot of the stuff you've mentioned isn't too bad; when I got my current VL, and I had to have a new floor welded into the boot. So it could be worse.
0 likes
fleasArchived member
Only cost about $100 or so for the internal pump....do it I reckon. Do what you want. Even if you don't have much money at the moment you could fix things slowly until you get more coin. Look at it like a distraction/therapy/motivation to achieve what you want with it.
0 likes
THCArchived member
if you love the car then go for it mate
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
spend 20-30k on it lol
0 likes
fuseboxArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl [View Post] spend 20-30k on it lol F*ck yeah, I second this idea Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
THCArchived member
make it run 10s and put alot of others to shame Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Wkd_Vl [View Post] spend 20-30k on it lol Hahaha
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

2 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today38

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 273 images saved from CT