Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
hi guys
ive got myself a factory standard VL t3 turbo needs a rebuild
as it has got shaft play, im unsure on the use its had since the guy i bought it off never used it on his project
however im stuck in the rebuild because i simply cannot find a T3 Turbo rebuild kit not t3-t4 bla bla bla rebuild kit
been there before wasted $60 and i used some bits and pieces like bearings and clips but the result left me with major shaft play
is there anyone here who can help me
as ebay wont help
and if anyone is going to say on here just change the turbo, dont waste my time thanks
but as i said anyone know where i can get the proper rebuild kit for the stock t3 turbo your help is much appreciated thank you
Merry Christmas to you all
0 likes
I rebuilt one using the ebay kit and the guide on here and didn't have any dramas
0 likes
which kit did you use PSI086?
0 likes
i used this kit the only thing i didnt use was the heatshield . just reused the vl one and the compressor cover gasket didnt fit. but i got one from axt turbo for $5.ive only had my car running a few times but seems the rebuild has worked and saved me $800 going through a turbo rebuilder
0 likes
Wkd vl which kit did you use?
i bought the one off ebay that has the bolts, heat shield etc
(the one with the most in it)
and the compressor gasket how do i get
one of those?
0 likes
yer mate i bought the one with the extra bolts. but dont use the bolts there dont fit.the compressor gasket is just a matter of taking the compressor housing and going to a turbo place.if you cant find one local to you. go to axt turbo in dandenong. aslo go on youtube and there is a 2 part movie on how to rebuild it. watch it and you cant go wrong. but be warned the bolts on the exhaust housing. are a price to undo .so maybe soak the bolts for a few days in wd-40. also have a nice clean area to work in
good luck and merry xmas
0 likes
thank you mate
yeah i got the snapped bolts out with the oxy
retapped the thread just to be on the safe side now ready for a waste gate dump pipe gasket which i cannot find on ebay
okay ill buy the same kit again and give it a go
just hope that this time it will not have shaft play up and down, left and right
merry xmas to you too thanks again
0 likes
hey bud no worrys. also between the turbo and dump pipe there is no gasket. so saves you looking for one
here is the video on rebuilding it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNZK4jeRSI
0 likes
Oh yeah? That's strange I thought it may leak if there was no gasket
RB 25 have one I believe and rb 20 I'm not 100%
0 likes
25-12-12, 21:28 GMT+10#10 yer i thought the same. but yer no gasket 100%
0 likes
25-12-12, 21:29 GMT+10#11 I used this kit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T3-T4-TUR...#ht_2284wt_796 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T3-T4-TURBO-REBUILD-KIT-VL-R31-RB30-T04E-T04B-GARRETT-/170950815920?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cd7670b0&_uhb=1#ht_2284wt_796)
0 likes
25-12-12, 21:40 GMT+10#12 yup thats the one i used also to the backing plates dont fit. so just reuse your old ones.
also to if you can get hold of a sandblaster. good idea to clean it all up comes up looking brand new
this is mine
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
25-12-12, 22:13 GMT+10#13 Wkd vl haha I'm well ahead of you I bought mine all sand blasted too
That's funny, but yeah I'll give it another go
And let you know once I'm done if there's no play in the shaft
---------- Post added 26-12-12 at 00:06 ----------
And I forgot to mention well you know how you need to mark the turbo before pulling it apart well my turbo had already been apart so I don't know where I have to line it up from
0 likes