Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

VLT project, colour?

Started by crowieee · 7 Dec 2012 · 40 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

crowieeeArchived member
Hello CT In the upcoming months my calais will be ready for paint! I've come to a conclusion I'm down to 3 colour schemes - candy apple red (common but still looks mint) On silver - Holden poison ivy green on silver - or metallic marrakesh brown on silver I don't know of a vl with the marrakesh brown so I'm thinking something new, would love to hear your opinion!
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
Do it a factory colour and itll still look good in years to come and be worth more
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
^^ 100%
0 likes
tzatzikiArchived member
keep standard vl colours only keep it original
0 likes
crowieeeArchived member
I was originally going to keep it a factory colour, then came to the decision to go all out, use it for shows. Also, I like to do things that are different to most, hence why I'm leaning towards the brown
0 likes
MUSArchived member
You can be up close to 10k for a genuine candy paint job... Not cheap.
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Lol, +10 for keeping it genuine colour. Me personally, i wouldnt go with any one of those colours if the painter done it for free. Rather drive it in primer.
0 likes
crowieeeArchived member
Yeah I'm aware of the price mate its something I wanna do once n not again. I don't get off my p's until feb 2014, so aslong as its completed by then I'm happy. I'm able to get the paint done cheap off a mate who does it for a living.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steff [View Post] Lol, +10 for keeping it genuine colour. Me personally, i wouldnt go with any one of those colours if the painter done it for free. Rather drive it in primer. LOL... but so true... +1 keep with the factory colour....
0 likes
aus880Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by crowieee [View Post] I was originally going to keep it a factory colour, then came to the decision to go all out, use it for shows. Also, I like to do things that are different to most, hence why I'm leaning towards the brown the colours you're proposing aren't 'different to most' and will date rapidly the latest colours may look o.k. on the latest model Commodore but are usually a poor and expensive choice for a VL respray in original colour will look best and make the car rarer than anything else
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Marakesh Brown over silver, have you done a photoshop on that? Can't say it'd look good. End of the day all these threads come down to it being what YOU want to do. I say factory colour as well.
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Agree... factory colour
0 likes
crowieeeArchived member
The Marrakesh brown my mate did a quick photo shop and looked quite good As for what everyone has said, might have to have a re think and look for an original colour Wouldn't mind the idea of a sleeper, as I have a motor lined up which should run 9-10s
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Put the shop up if you don't mind? I wouldn't mind having a look at it, I can't see it in my head. The solid colour actually looks decent, considering it's a brown of all things. But I can't picture it over silver.
0 likes
crowieeeArchived member
I'm currently on my phone, but I'll get him to send me the pic, n have a crack at putting it up tonight
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
Mate if you don't like the stock vl colours by all means do something custom. But keep it subtle and understated so it will still be classy for years to come. Different shades of silver can be nice. Quicksilver single tone calais would be bomb I reckon.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Silver slate calais like pumba's... With red interior PORNNOOOO Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
crowieeeArchived member
Yeah that does look nice haha! And yeah I was toying with the idea of an original colour anyway. Gonna be a tough decision n they do make some good points. Guess I could put the engine in first have a sleeper for a bit then do the paint later on once I decide haha, have a sleeper for a bit then decide whether out there paint, or factory
0 likes
88_vl_bt1Archived member
imperial blue over silver!
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
MULBERRY! is that marakesh that bmw colour? if so, if rust could **** on a car, thats what it would look like...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today103

9,390 threads, 65,474 posts and 795 images saved from CT

27.4% of indexed threads saved