Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi guys I have an rb20 in my VL got it going today for the first time as only just borght it in peices. i took it for a drive no problems but out of no where it stoped hitting boost and stalled so i got out the car and the intercooler piping blew off. fixed that and gone over it all but now it wont spool up and when you driving when you hit boost it doesnt take off it wants to stall like it flooding or something :/ any ideas whats causeing this it idols fine and drives fine till the turbo starts to spin. it also feels like it takes alot more revs for it to spools.
Cheers Guys.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sounds like your inter cooler piping has blown off in more than one place..
Go over every clamp on your cooler piping.
0 likes
I re-clamped everything then went to take off and It poped of again then did it up again and she drove fine takes ages to spoil tho slot longer than my rb30. But also found a new problem, it pisses out with some sort of liquid from the petrol tank on top, it doesn't smell like petrol it smells like hot water and it's warm it's also got oily look to it but doesn't feel oily. I think my car f***ed :/ im so confused!
0 likes
Have you checked the vacuum hose going to the boost solenoid? That may have popped off, causing overboost. Maybe get some better clamps for your cooler hoses and have the cooler pipes flared.
So the liquid is coming from the top of your fuel tank?
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
[View Post]
Have you checked the vacuum hose going to the boost solenoid? That may have popped off, causing overboost. Maybe get some better clamps for your cooler hoses and have the cooler pipes flared.
So the liquid is coming from the top of your fuel tank?
Didn't think off that good call and it drips down the side and looks like it's coming from the top
0 likes
Pull the fuel tank out most likely the breather hoses have perished leaking fuel ,
As for the boost problems make up a leak kit to check the intake piping could be a blown manifold gasket head to plenum or anything till pressure test wont know for sure..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant_man
[View Post]
Pull the fuel tank out most likely the breather hoses have perished leaking fuel ,
As for the boost problems make up a leak kit to check the intake piping could be a blown manifold gasket head to plenum or anything till pressure test wont know for sure..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc
It doesn't smell like petrol tho and I also just put fresh gaskets on the intake and exhaust but the dump pipe gasket I reused but I copper sprayed it
0 likes
Have you spilt some thing in you boot?Which side is it leaking?
0 likes
Antman is probably on the money... it doesn't often smell like fuel because its etching into the tar like coating and layers of dirt thats collected above the tank.
I was going to say, light it with a match to see if its fuel, but something deep down tells me you might try that.
So lick it instead, if the taste stays on your tongue for hours, it will be fuel. If it doesn't it could be bodily fluids from roadkill or the container you forgot about in your boot has split in the heat and is dripping through a rust hole.
0 likes
02-12-12, 20:53 GMT+10#10 It's leaking both sides and it's a wagon and I have ripped it to shreds trying to find it I will taste it tomorrow see how I go :/
0 likes
02-12-12, 23:51 GMT+10#11 I hope your joking...... .... .. .
0 likes
03-12-12, 00:44 GMT+10#12 Lick the **** outta it bro
0 likes
03-12-12, 07:05 GMT+10#13 Quote:
Originally Posted by bachig24u
[View Post]
Antman is probably on the money... it doesn't often smell like fuel because its etching into the tar like coating and layers of dirt thats collected above the tank.
I was going to say, light it with a match to see if its fuel, but something deep down tells me you might try that.
So lick it instead, if the taste stays on your tongue for hours, it will be fuel. If it doesn't it could be bodily fluids from roadkill or the container you forgot about in your boot has split in the heat and is dripping through a rust hole.
.........don't do this. Ever. Otherwise you'll end up like this guy. FInd where the leak is coming from, that's the best bet. You can smell it, but it may be impure or stale and not have the classic smell (or be combustible).
Oh yeah, don't lick any mysterious fluids from your car unless you like hospitals
0 likes
03-12-12, 13:52 GMT+10#14 Haha ok guys I won't taste it :P and in going to start to put it apart set what's leaking and how do you get petrol tanks off?
0 likes
03-12-12, 15:28 GMT+10#15 Should have two straps bolted at each end supporting the tank. You'll need to remove the panel in the rear right wheel well to access the filler neck.
0 likes
03-12-12, 19:53 GMT+10#16 Yeh had a look at at it was real easy and turns out the owner before ran a radiator cooler line to the back of the car and it was just plugged but the hose perised and was leaking every where I check my radiator and it was empty. No idea why you would run a radiator hose down the back but at least I found it and it was nothing hard haha. Does anyone know why he would of done that?
---------- Post added 03-12-12 at 21:33 ----------
She is running fine now but still pops intercooler piping off really easy when I take off really hard or tried to tip a skid it just popped off :/ so im going to get new silicon and claps tomorrow see what happens.
0 likes
04-12-12, 12:17 GMT+10#17 Do your pipes have flares or a bead were it clamps cause your going to keep having dramas if it's just straight pipe.you can make a simple tool with three washers and an old pair of vice grips if you can get your hands on a welder. But I've only used it on aluminum, steel pipes I just weld a bead on low amp so it has a ridge to sit on.
0 likes
04-12-12, 16:36 GMT+10#18 Yeh that's a good idea might take it to the local welder see if he wants to do it for me
0 likes