Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Widest tyre on rear mini tubbed

Started by grunter01 · 29 Nov 2012 · 66 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

grunter01Archived member
Hey guy just want to know what's the widest tyre you guys have fit on your car with it mini tubbed but still retain the standard shock?
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
The shock is the limiting factor mate. If you go coilover and to the rail you'll get a 10.5 under there. Mines about 2 inches into the rail and sits on the deck with a 10.5 with plenty of room to spare- although it's 4 linked, 9 inch coil over etc.
0 likes
GMHVNArchived member
hey vl4skids are you running disc brakes? Looking at tubbing my car to the rail and running some dish but unsure how much width and dish i can get if running discs. Setup will have coilovers and 4 link and of course shortened diff. thanks
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Hey mate, na I'm not. I set it up with 3 inch backspacing for max dish haha, so I ended up running drums. You can spin the caliper if you really want to, but there's nothing wrong with drums!
0 likes
GMHVNArchived member
Yeah drums will do the job at the end of the day. Can u still get parts for drums?
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Yeah I rebuilt mine when I put them on, powdercoated the drums and backing plates with all the other suspension
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
yeah i know the shock is the limiting factor, just wanted to see before i put coil overs in. Has everyone got any under car pics of there suspension setups ( coil over or 4 link ) as i am going to do the work my self when do actually do it. Cheers guys
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
I'm still no good at putting pics up lol, but ill give it a try later on for ya
0 likes
OVR-800STArchived member
I got 10's on the rear of mine without mini tubs! just have shorted billet axels =)
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vl4skids [View Post] I'm still no good at putting pics up lol, but ill give it a try later on for ya Email or text the pics to me and I'll put them up. ---------- Post added 05-12-12 at 11:33 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by OVR-800ST [View Post] I got 10's on the rear of mine without mini tubs! just have shorted billet axels =) Did you need to notch anything to fit them on?
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Will a VL fit 28x10.5, tubbed to the rail with coil overs? How do you go running a back seat with something like this?
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by xAsh- [View Post] Will a VL fit 28x10.5, tubbed to the rail with coil overs? How do you go running a back seat with something like this? Yes but it will be mega jacked up in the a$$. I was originally doing that to my car, sat the wheel tyre combo in the wheel well and it wasn't pretty haha, so I took a few inches from the rail and there's more room than I would've thought.
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Not that im too worried, but what are the legalities of going into the rail, on a street car?
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
I enquired with 2 engineers in act, they both had no problem with the rear end- notched into rail, 4 link, coilovers, solid mounted sway bar, track locator-all the gear. The only downfall with the engineering process on my car is the 6 point cage which really sucks
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
Just buying a new roller now which has 11.5" slicks on it with it only to the rail... Will get up pics when I get it back
0 likes
OVR-800STArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] Email or text the pics to me and I'll put them up. ---------- Post added 05-12-12 at 11:33 ---------- Did you need to notch anything to fit them on? Nope..
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by OVR-800ST [View Post] Nope.. Get some pics up of yours, I seen it years ago and it looked good. The tail shaft tunnel has been raised in your also right?
0 likes
DVS VL280Archived member
Picked up the roller yet? It's not black by any chance is it?
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
Na it's white, I get it after xmas
0 likes
OVR-800STArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by grunter01 [View Post] Get some pics up of yours, I seen it years ago and it looked good. The tail shaft tunnel has been raised in your also right? yea its been raised slightly havnt got any pics of underneath it but my mate jesse bought your old white car he said you were going to powercruise i just entered so feel free to come past & scope it out although prob will have some stockies on the rear not 20x10's haha.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,433 threads, 74,623 posts and 919 images saved from CT

30.5% of indexed threads saved