Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi all, after lowering my vl Calais with king spring superlows and monroe gt sport shocks on the rear and gt gas on the front, I've been having problems with camber and scrubbing, I know a lot of people have superlows and 19"+ rims on their vls and I'm wondering why my tyres scrub on the front, so bad to the point I need new tyres and the old ones were only 4 months old. I've booked in for k-Mac adjustable strut tops and to raise the front to king spring lows, but I don't want to raise it. I also have really bad camber on the left side (which is the side that's not scrubbing)
I have 19" genuine vx gts' and 235/35/19. My strut tops have sagged a little but not too much. My guards aren't rolled. Before I put the car in and raise it I want to know what others think I should do.
I also want to know if anyone has pics of vl's on 18"+ with lows in the front and superlows in the rear. Last thing I want is the front to be raised and it looks stupid.
0 likes
Roll guards asap and get smaller tyres... 225, or try fit smaller
0 likes
I've been told not to fit 225 as they have a lower load rating
0 likes
if tyres are rubbing on both sides= roll ur guards
if tyres rubbing on one side= panhrd rod
0 likes
I have an adjustable panhard, and its the front that's scrubbing
0 likes
I have a very similar setup in my car and no dramas at all. Whereabouts is the tyre wear occuring?
0 likes
on the right front tyre, on the outer edge, it's completely chewed the tyre.
0 likes
Starting with the basics - have you had a good look inside the wheel arch to see if there is something rubbing on the tyre? With the car parked up try turning the steering wheel full lock both ways and see if you can anything that might possibly come into contact with the tyre - it would have to be something fairly solid in order to damage the tyre that much - perhaps a screw or something holding the inner guard in place?
Other than something obvious - the only other possibility is that the alignment is really out of whack due to worn strut tops. Get the adjustable tops installed and a good wheel alignment and hopefully that will fix things.
0 likes
get rims with 43-45 offset and it will not scrub... been there done that
0 likes
10-12-12, 17:40 GMT+10#10 He states in his first post that they are genuine HSV rims. Pretty sure these are a 45p offset...
bck2basic; had any luck fixing the problem yet?
0 likes
10-12-12, 19:48 GMT+10#11 Well I thought about it, and at the moment I can't afford to keep spending money on it, so I decided I should just do the easiest option, knowing I won't hae any other problems
So I didn't want to not put the lows in the front and still scrub, so I decided to do the springs and k-macs and its fine now, I'll lower it and roll the guards later on.
And I also found out that because the camber was so bad, when they did the wheel alignment they adjusted the toe so it wouldnt pull, and of course the tyre they adjusted the toe on was the tyre that was scrubbing. And then to top it off, they k-mac tops made the car sit about 15-20mm higher.
So if I was to do it again, I would have only had done the tops and not changed the springs as the toe was bad and the strut tops had collapsed!
0 likes