Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Im looking a buying a VL to build into a weekender/ drag toy.
My plan is to run to the 10.5 sec limit and still drive it home.
What sort of gear would i require to get to this goal?
Forgies or just a mild rebuild?
Thanks
Matthew
0 likes
35/40
injectors
exhaust
ecu
cooler
built auto
good tune
0 likes
Overnight parts from Japan.
Here's a thread to an 11s build.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=15681
0 likes
Should be two lists, one for auto and manual
0 likes
well manual is the same combo... except a decent driver.
0 likes
well thats you stuffed then MORGZ haha
0 likes
Id end up skipping the built auto and go straight to a glide so i can go even harder in future.
So a forged motor isnt a required at this level?
What sort of cam would i need?
0 likes
If a race prepped glide isn't a built auto I don't know what is.
I'd go n/a bottom end, high comp, big cam, ecu, big fuel, e85, glide, 35/40 or t04z, stock turbo diff
If it pops, throw another $250 bottom end at it and repeat :P
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
How much power would you need for a 10 second car?
0 likes
27-11-12, 22:28 GMT+10#10 I mean skip building the stock auto and just go to a glide.
I remember reading some where just throwing some turbo spec pistons into a na motor will make it handle the boost a bit nicer. Will have to run it on 98 as i still want to drive it to work then the drags.
0 likes
27-11-12, 22:32 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by d.k.vmatt
[View Post]
I remember reading some where just throwing some turbo spec pistons into a na motor will make it handle the boost a bit nicer. Will have to run it on 98 as i still want to drive it to work then the drags.
"just throwing pistons in" you make it sound so easy haha
Just as easy to upgrade fuel system and then you can pump the boost anyway (unless your still on stock ECU)
0 likes
28-11-12, 04:33 GMT+10#12 Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonVL
[View Post]
How much power would you need for a 10 second car?
Depends on whos dyno can be done with 250rwks if the auto and diff are good
0 likes
28-11-12, 05:33 GMT+10#13 Yeh right what sort of engine build would you have to do?
0 likes
28-11-12, 06:47 GMT+10#14 Quote:
Originally Posted by grunter01
[View Post]
well thats you stuffed then MORGZ haha
Haha nothing wrong with my spaz driving skillz.
Yeah 250-280rwkw may see a high 10 if it's put to the ground properly.
0 likes
28-11-12, 07:06 GMT+10#15 Quote:
Originally Posted by 7FOUR7
[View Post]
I'd go n/a bottom end, high comp, big cam, ecu, big fuel, e85, glide, 35/40 or t04z, stock turbo diff
If it pops, throw another $250 bottom end at it and repeat :P
I've never done it, but after reading this site for the past 6 years this is the way I'd do it + R33 manual and standard 24 year old suspension
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
28-11-12, 07:09 GMT+10#16 But to do the motor properly I'd need new pistons rods bearing and an oil pump? Then get it all machined and assemble?
I'm a mercanic everything sounds easy until you do it haha.
0 likes
28-11-12, 09:09 GMT+10#17 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
[View Post]
I've never done it, but after reading this site for the past 6 years this is the way I'd do it + R33 manual and standard 24 year old suspension
Lol! Or a set of P plates and a user account on calais turbo will happily see you in the 10s.
0 likes
28-11-12, 09:42 GMT+10#18 N/a eng
3 layer gasket
35/40
Injectors
Ecu
Cooler
Exhaust
Tune
That there mods seen my old calais thru to 326rwkw on 18psi thru a mf5
0 likes
28-11-12, 12:59 GMT+10#19 "But to do the motor properly I'd need new pistons rods bearing and an oil pump? Then get it all machined and assemble?"
Your the mechanic mate hehe. But regardless you will break stuff. Also add parts-falure into the mix, but as long as your willing to accept that sh1t happens and keep trying for that 10 then you will not fail
Seeing that your best bet is to start with a vl SL or Executive youd also need turbo 28 spline diff to stay safe.
0 likes
28-11-12, 13:46 GMT+10#20 Whats a mercanic?..lol
cheers
darren
0 likes