Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Do you ever wanna sell up!!!

Started by trkdup · 24 Nov 2012 · 54 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

trkdupArchived member
I'm sure many of this forum users are in the same boat. My vl is a endless money Pitt. I fix one thing and something else arises, I have spent 20 grand on mine and it's no we're near finished I have learnt the hard way you pay for what u get.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
I tryed to stop but i don't no what else to do if i don't have a car or 2 or 3 to keep me busy I'm lost. The only other thing that makes me feel like a kid again is when I see my kids smile :-) .
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
I'm at wits end I'm about to throw in the towel, I've had enough I really have....money pit isn't the word I've thrown about 30-40k into my wagon and I spend the money and **** just ****s up constantly, mines getting tuned in 3 weekes in Melbourne I'm in Brisbane any way it's ready for tune well thought it was got my exhaust back last night put it on today, fired it up and the Turb is pumping oil into the exhaust...checked everything u could think of to make sure it wasn't pressurizing but no if u blow into the oil feed and block off the drain u can hear it leaking behind the exhaust wheel.... And I bought the turbo from the states.....I have to pay shipping to send it back its around $150, any one know off the top of the head what it cost to have new seals fitted and re ballenced?? Cheers guys I'm over it big time
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
I've had a break from all cars for 5 years or so - it's been great! Although you never lose the passion to own a nice one, I don't think I'd ever bother with any form of racing again, just going on more cruises. The biggest problem I have experienced at trademen being paid for a job, and not doing the job or doing a really half assed effort - it takes the fun out of a build up, and originally that is what stopped me from mucking around with them.
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
I've spent over 100k on vl's over the last 8 years. Last effort was 40k in one hit and sold it for a fraction of the cost, unfinished. It's been about 3 years. Saving for another one now Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
silverRBArchived member
I've spent plenty on mine...this recent build is the last one! When I think of what I could have done with the money I've spent on it...trips overseas, payed more off the morgage etc. almost brings me to tears. But I bought the car off my father, who had it since new. We've always spoke of getting to to the point it's almost at now then going to weekend car shows together. So I have an emotional bond with my car. My boss who has built cars and owns quite a few European sports cars said to me one day. "Mate you've just gotta get that build youve always wanted done and out of your system, the trick is finding a reliable mechanic to do it once and do it rite." He also said that when he looks at building a car now he just searches for a similar one that's already had the money spent and buys that way.
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Boys, it's a tough thing. I'm going to have a rant! My current vl owes me 70k. It's a lot of money to sacrifice on a car, sometimes I wonder wtf am I doing. Then I realize I look so forward to my car running and the enjoyment that comes with it that i keep motoring on. I've just finished mini tubbing= 4 link, 9inch, coil overs, etc; 6 point cage. My old man actually builds hot rods for a living, so I've had an awesome helping hand in doing this work on my car. I've done the tub job myself and everything that is involved- absolutely everything. But running a business and living life seems to take the majority of you time away! Although, Aswell as saving a heap of dosh, I've learnt a heap of skills along the way. Luke (duke57tt) can vouch for the workmanship that's gone into it (hopefully lol) and even though you try to "do things once do things right" you always go through the changes. As soon as I pulled it off the road the 35/40 came off, plenum head etc etc. Now it has 42r, ported head solid cam/lifters, adjustable rocker gear, jpc plenum and the list goes on. Do things once AND THEY WILL CHANGE!! Changes = money it's never ending! Back on track, sometimes I feel like passing my car on, but at the end of the day you need to stick in there and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Tough sometimes but it's all worthwhile in the end!
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
i have spent my fair share on cars over the years, one thing i have learnt is that to buy something that is nearly done and finish it off and you save mega $$$$ and when you go to sell it you dont lose the money you would normally.
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
110% Kirk, if you don't plan on owning the car forever then that is a much much smarter move, but if you plan on owning the car for a long time your better off doing it yourself so you know it's actually done. You all know how good some of the sellers on here for example are!!
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 7FOUR7 [View Post] I've spent over 100k on vl's over the last 8 years. Last effort was 40k in one hit and sold it for a fraction of the cost, unfinished. It's been about 3 years. Saving for another one now Did it get raffled off in the end, or did you just sell it? Mines not even on the road yet and i've near on had enough (and my wallet too). Driving a new R8 now, and makes you wonder why we even bother with old cars. In saying that though, i'm sure we all would buy/build another. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
I think VLs are abouit chasing a dream (an expencive one) people contine to bet double or nothing again and again. Im not saying give up at all, but there is alot of similer stuff you can build and enjoy. Wanna go fast?? buy a road bike, want a turbo? bolt a turbo to it lol Expand your mineds, dont be afraid of trying some new things I think i would buy one with all the goodies. Even if you buy a vl thats had 40,000 spent on it atleast you have the parts already there. (unless every single part of the engine and car fails in unisen) These are the things that save you time and money for the important stuff. You get them basicly for free Buying a 3 inch exhaust, rubbers bush kit, suspention, lights interor parts cooling system, sensors. rust repair, pain job Turbo, Fmic ect... Just say: you buy a car for 15,000 its had 40,000 grand spent on it (25,000) to play with)) or you buy a car for 6 grand and spend 40 grand on it. (and **** still breaks, gettin tunes) When you sell it for 15 grand you out of pocket 23,000 any way lol)) I plan to buy and build a nice vl, but i also plan to get my gun licence and buy a 4WD and a road bike and a house and and. Iv been swollowed by vl madness b4 its fun but like an addiction its expencive, time consuming and makes the missus angry lol but if you love it do it.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
I sold me road bike cause there's too many f*** head drivers on the road these days, an I wanna be around to watch me kids grow up. I had kangaroos jump out in front of me wial riding hit a bump at 180+ k's lets ya know ur alive that's for sure.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
"180+ k's" "I sold me road bike cause there's too many f*** head drivers" I see you logic...
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Spent over 70k on ours restoring her back to they way she should be(HDT Sport Wagon)Worth every cent!Also spent 2500hrs of my time on her also.I believe in doing it once and doing it right.Took the Brock for a good run today and it is the best 70k money spent,Still puts a smile on my dail.Now starting on a Sandman rebuild,Planning on about 30k on this one But you know what happens.Just remember you only live once so do want you want to do!! Cheers Marty ps half way thru the build I thought man I could give her away!!
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Yeah was a drain kinda thing built into the road, the whole back half of me ended up off the bike. Don't get me wrong though I do miss riding.
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] Did it get raffled off in the end, or did you just sell it? Mines not even on the road yet and i've near on had enough (and my wallet too). Driving a new R8 now, and makes you wonder why we even bother with old cars. In saying that though, i'm sure we all would buy/build another. Nah there were too many legalities.. Kirk is on the money!
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
towl thrown in a long time ago now well towl thrown in on vl turbo's
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivation I'm into learning n this...Explains a lot
0 likes
SteffArchived member
The way i see it, is money comes and it goes. Dont ever let it stop you from doing something you really want to do in life. If it costs you 70k to build your vl in the long run well then who gives a fuck. If your going to sit there cursing that it owes you 70k then dont even bother starting a project. Dont have the money strait away? Do it over 10 years. Atleast you get what you want out of it..
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
I sold up and it was the best thing i have ever done.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today94

7,520 threads, 49,831 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved