Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

VL Limited Edition Exec/SL 5 Litre

Started by VLSL5L · 17 Nov 2012 · 42 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLSL5LArchived member
Hello , New to the site and over 60, so please be kind. We have owned a VL8VK19-A9Q Dealer Marketing Group Pack Exec May 88 Build date, 5 litre auto with SL Factory update, for nearly 22 years. We bought 2 at auction identical in 1991. It's been the wife's daily for all that time and I would like to find out any more info I can about the car. I have read on here about A8S but I have been unable to find that code anywhere on the plates or build sheet so I can only assume the A9Q is in place of the A8S. The build sheet clearly shows references to SL and the interior is all SL as is the boot badge. Suspension is FE 2 and it is not BT1. I have the books showing original purchaser and all details from when we bought the car. Any info would be appreciated. ---------- Post added 18-11-12 at 10:45 ---------- Good site, just had a read on just about anything to do with VL LE's and appears there are a number of different versions of LE's produced, some 6, some 8 cylinder, some Opera House, some Dealer Marketing Pack. Our VL is on Gumtree for anyone interested in seeing what an almost unmolested VL SL LE 5 Litre looks like.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
I've contacted a couple of VL experts who should hopefully be able to help you It's a nice stock, well kept VL you have there
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
Thank you for that, I look forward to hearing from them.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Nice car, looks to be in mint condition. And welcome to the site Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
I like it, not many of these lying around, very neat.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Limited edition, its pretty much just a standard vl but got the Calais style dash cluster, centre consol lid an the extra pocket before the shifter, my one also had factory Centrol locking. What I think it is, is just a vl sl with a few extras boxes ticked to help get rid of em with a limited edition sticker. Also try pulling the carpet up on the passanger front side there should be a bit of paper under it with all ur interior options ect.
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
[ Also try pulling the carpet up on the passanger front side there should be a bit of paper under it with all ur interior options ect.[/QUOTE] Yes, that's the Build Sheet I referred to in my initial post.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
Very nice car mate. ---------- Post added 19-11-12 at 19:25 ---------- I can't seem to find much about it. The vk lv-2 v8 had been reworked for the lv2 option to regain some of the power lost due to unleaded fuel which has a lower octane rating. Vl commodores were released in 1986 with the same 5.0litre 4987cc v8 engine that was available at the end of the vl production run. The colour of these engine blocks was black, the same as the late vk. Engine identification location is as before, the prefix code is stamped on the engine number pad before the engine number. The first letters being vj for vl model. I no that Holden was never going to release a v8 in the vl commodore, so peter Brock got up an made it happen doing all the r&d work to make one an have it running on unleaded fuel. Holden an there engineers were too busy working on the yet to be released efi v8 that wouldn't be ready till the vn commodore. ---------- Post added 19-11-12 at 19:28 ---------- If you still have the original owners manual why not try going into or calling the dealer yard that sold it, they may still have it on file some where.
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vh sle rb [View Post] Very nice car mate. ---------- Post added 19-11-12 at 19:25 ---------- I can't seem to find much about it. The vk lv-2 v8 had been reworked for the lv2 option to regain some of the power lost due to unleaded fuel which has a lower octane rating. Vl commodores were released in 1986 with the same 5.0litre 4987cc v8 engine that was available at the end of the vl production run. The colour of these engine blocks was black, the same as the late vk. Engine identification location is as before, the prefix code is stamped on the engine number pad before the engine number. The first letters being vh for vl model. I no that Holden was never going to release a v8 in the vl commodore, so peter Brock got up an made it happen doing all the r&d work to make one an have it running on unleaded fuel. Holden an there engineers were too busy working on the yet to be released efi v8 that wouldn't be ready till the vn commodore. Thanks for that. I agree they were put together to get rid of them before the VN came out, and yes, the the Holden V8 supplement I have clearly indicates the VL black being a carry over from the VK and detuned to 304 for unleaded. Apart from the Limited Edition Decal on the front bumper lip, it also came with full plastic wheel covers with Limited Edition instead of Holden, rear garnish in black, black around windows, door decals, and as already mentioned these were Exec's upgraded to Sl and the only SL's to get the 5 litre. I have never been able to find a VL SL on any site, Glasses Guide, Redbook etc showing 5 litre. ---------- Post added 19-11-12 at 19:28 ---------- If you still have the original owners manual why not try going into or calling the dealer yard that sold it, they may still have it on file some where. The Dealership is long gone.
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
That sucks.
0 likes
INFLYTArchived member
This is a factory released car in this specification being; A9Q Dealer Marketing Group Pack - 8VK - May 1988. Rare, but not unusual. The cars badges are not correct. It looks as though the car has had paintwork in its (early) life, and someone forgot the front guard badges, and put an SL badge on instead of the correct Executive badge, which should be on the right hand side anyway.
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by INFLYT [View Post] This is a factory released car in this specification being; A9Q Dealer Marketing Group Pack - 8VK - May 1988. Rare, but not unusual. The cars badges are not correct. It looks as though the car has had paintwork in its (early) life, and someone forgot the front guard badges, and put an SL badge on instead of the correct Executive badge, which should be on the right hand side anyway. Thanks for the reply. The Build Sheet shows at # 14 N'Plate Rear End SL The A9Q indicates Dealer Group Marketing Pack Executive, however the Body Plate shows 8K19JH L ?????? L which follows as K being SL 19 being body J being 5 litre H being 1988 L being Adelaide Plant ?????? being serial number and of course the last L being VL. What more can I say.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
SL and Exec had the same code i believe so I think Igor is on the money plus you state Quote: Dealer Group Marketing Pack Executive so yes I'd say it's what the A9Q code states
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
I wouldn't be calling it an SL or Excec anyway, it has the side window frames blacked with berlina tail lights and SL interior, as mentioned, it's an 88 run out LE. As mentioned the SL boot badge is wrong and in the wrong spot
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
I'm a little confused. Should the SL be on the right and the 5L be next to Holden on the left.
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
Thought I'd chime in here. When in doubt your build sheet is always correct as you state. Don't worry about the front guard badges that someone mentioned. It won't have any due to it not being fuel injected. See below for the height and location of the bootlid badges. They've been off at some stage, even if just for a polish. "Holden" on the left. "Limited Edition SL 5.0" on the right. The normally aspirated 6 didn't have an engine badge on the bootlid. All check out for THIS version of a Limited Edition. Berlina blacked out window frames and lights correct too. Can't fault it except I'm guessing it would have come with the Turbo/V8 hubcaps from new unless you optioned aftermarket wheels like I did when you ordered it. Good luck with the sale and the nitpicks. I hope it goes to a good home. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
So this makes it a Limited Edition SL, you learn something every day in old commodores. I wonder if his came with the 5.0 badge, doubt it or it would be one badge packed bootlid.
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLTWhite1 [View Post] Thought I'd chime in here. When in doubt your build sheet is always correct as you state. Don't worry about the front guard badges that someone mentioned. It won't have any due to it not being fuel injected. See below for the height and location of the bootlid badges. They've been off at some stage, even if just for a polish. "Holden" on the left. "Limited Edition SL 5.0" on the right. The normally aspirated 6 didn't have an engine badge on the bootlid. All check out for THIS version of a Limited Edition. Berlina blacked out window frames and lights correct too. Can't fault it except I'm guessing it would have come with the Turbo/V8 hubcaps from new unless you optioned aftermarket wheels like I did when you ordered it. Good luck with the sale and the nitpicks. I hope it goes to a good home. Thanks for the input VLT White1. The hubcaps were full plastic wheel covers but where most have indented/grooved HOLDEN, these had LIMITED EDITION. Of course they did not last long being full plastic. We actually bought 2 identical cars at auction at the same time, so I am going to attempt to find any photos showing the 2 and will put them up here if I find them. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLSL5LArchived member
I,m back after digging out some photos and some of you were right, the SL Badge belongs next to the 5L Badge on the right side with Limited Edition above them. I had forgotton the car had a light rear ender in 93 so obviously the Beaters put the badges on wrong. I have sent some photos to vltwhite1 and asked him to upload them for me as I am useless at that sort of thing. I must add here that the original photos coupled with the Build Sheet proves beyond any doubt that the car is in fact a 5Litre VL SL Limited Edition. Any one seen any more of these or did we own the only 2 ? Thanks to all who put up info and in turn forced me to start digging.
0 likes
NASTY1Archived member
its a limited edition not a hdt le.there would be a few around.exact numbers well who knows.commodorenut would be the best person to answer all your questions
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today1

12,661 threads, 100,272 posts and 1,279 images saved from CT

37.0% of indexed threads saved