Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

high compression rb30e help

Started by bigrob · 9 Nov 2012 · 5 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

bigrobArchived member
Something a little different from the usual: Looking at raising the CR of my engine to build a decent-ish NA engine. Options are: shaving the head 20thou (any ideas on how high this will raise it to?), or if anyone can recommend any pistons that would suit to bump it up a bit, I'm trying to get maybe around 10.5:1. This will be matched with a nice port and polish, and a Camtech CT503 517 cam. Aiming for around 130atw, although more would be nice, possibly going to go nistune and slightly bigger injectors. Thoughts, ideas, and what I should expect? Cheers boys and girls
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
I think SYK086 did a high comp N/A RB30 motor for his car and there was a purple/silver VL Calais with an N/A RB30/26 combo. I'd wait for them to reply or speak with a tuner e.g. Maatouks as i know they do Hi Comp N/A RB30 motors now
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
any ideas what power figures they made? I'd like to stay sohc, but twin cam isn't out of the picture. ---------- Post added 09-11-12 at 22:29 ---------- been having a read of this: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...omp-sohc-rb30/ (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/282640-high-comp-sohc-rb30/) informative, but a bit inconclusive. Anyone have any more details on using rb25 pistons for example? I don't want to spend much money if possible, and it's NA so no need for forgies.
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
anyone? How much will shaving the head increase my compression by, I went to a shop and they said 20thou should be safe, anyone got anything to add to/say about this? If I get decent compression just by shaving I won't bother changing pistons, just want a bit more
0 likes
trackbt1Archived member
you could calculate it, someone might know exactly but if you know the cc of the combustion chamber standard then subract roughly the area at 20 thou in mm, decent head gaskets tell you the the cc of gasket at 1 and 1.2mm not much help but just an idea
0 likes
bigrobArchived member
that thing sounds mental, much want! Yeah I've been googling it a bit, my cam will be quite nice for what I want, a little above gts2 spec without needing too many revs and being a hassle. I'm planning on doing a nice polish job, inside of plenum, runners etc as well as a bit of porting, nothing dramatic. So you say 25det pistons will give me around 10:1? Can anyone back that up? Might be worth a shot, and I'll deck the head to give a bit more probably. See how much I can push the good old 30e without going twin cam, it's weird I know but I have a bit of an attachment to sohc and I like to have a car that's a bit surprising
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

8,981 threads, 62,105 posts and 788 images saved from CT

26.2% of indexed threads saved