Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Powerbond ballancer charging issues?

Started by DeVL · 18 Oct 2012 · 16 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

DeVLArchived member
I'm having problems with my car charging at idle it runs like a bag of **** because of a low voltage issue and then as you rev it to 3000rpm the charge increases and it runs great. The car has a 3 year old new alternator that's probably worked for 30min since I've had the car running....... I've had some issues with the last workshop the car was at so with all the new problems that are showing up I'm not sure if it ever made power. What I need to know is if anyone has had charging issues at idle with a powerbond 25% underdriven. Pete
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
My car did about 1500kms while it was on the road and has a powerbond, never had a prob with it not charging mate
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Ok that's what I needed to know thanks
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVL [View Post] Ok that's what I needed to know thanks I also have the under driven balancer and never had charging issues. My car does also run like a bag of ****s at low revs but I put it down to the cam/no stepper motor. Please let me know what you find, it could be contributing to my issue, but less likely.
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
No worries
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
have had the same issues, check this thread http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ght=alternator (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=257520&highlight=alternator)
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
I had the alternator changed today to a 90 amp didn't help much I'm gonna change out the ballancer
0 likes
cookie747Archived member
how many volts is it charging at, at idle?
0 likes
yfullyArchived member
i would leave the balancer and put a smaller pully on the alt to spin it faster any auto electrician can do this
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
I'm not sure I get the car back tomorrow from the tuners ill do some further investigation tomorrow.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
also check all your wiring and clean up your earths. are you running an earth from the battery to the block? if not think about it or upgrade your earths to the chasis.
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLWAGONIT [View Post] also check all your wiring and clean up your earths. are you running an earth from the battery to the block? if not think about it or upgrade your earths to the chasis. I'm thinking that the wire they've used to come off the stud on the alternator is to thin and because of that the altenator can't physically push enough voltage or amperage through it until the car is Revd . Dunno see how things go. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
how big is it? im running 8ga from the alternator to the distrobution terminal under my dash and then 0ga from there to the N70z truck battery in the boot. I also have 0ga from the distrobution terminal to the starter motor and 00ga from the battery to the block. Also have a cat style isolator in the boot with a removable key It might be overkill but im ok with it also, im going to have an rb25det alternator on it soon ( anyone know what amperage they put out?)
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
slobt1 has had the same problems as you DeVL
0 likes
H.AsaadArchived member
A friend of mine had similar issue due to the underdriven balancer. It had us stumped. We tried everything including a couple alternator swaps, it still didn't solve the issue. After scratching our heads for a while we found out the harmonic balancer we put on was too small. Since then he's been running a stock balancer and now has plenty of charge and the car runs the better than ever. But I can't remember if it was a powerbond brand or not. I'll have to check next time I'm over.
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
I think I may have found an issue off the back of the alternator they have used two 5mm (insulation included in messurement) that go too a main positive post under the dash but just befor it gets too the post it splices into one 5mm wire then joins up to the post... There isn't even a wire that goes to the starter motor.
0 likes
SLO.BT1Archived member
yeah man, got this isuue exact same thing, its the alt turning too slowly at the idle speed.took forever to work out why,if i could be ****ed id put the stock balancer back on.i only changed it because i thought the outside of the balancer had moved on the inner therefore putting the timing marks out.only bought the powerbond one because a new stock balancer wasnt available.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today91

7,519 threads, 49,751 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved