Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys just wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way to convert my rear break drums to disks? I have a vl wagon and have been told about vn disks but how do i change them over and also is there any other ways?
0 likes
Use the search feature, it's been discussed many times.
0 likes
sorry im new and cant find any, how would i search that? is there any written insturtion people have done ? cheers
0 likes
Quote:
I have a vl wagon and have been told about vn disks but how do I change them over and also is there any other ways?
Yeah, we got a whole VN Commodore wagon rear axle assy from this bloke out at Lemon Tree Passage (Newcastle area) as my brother wanted to do a diff up for his VN, but I used the parts off the VN to convert my VL over to rear disc, here's a run down on what you need :-
- VB - VS Commodore rear discs
- VN- VS Commodore rear handbrake shoes
- VN- VS handbrake shoe mechanisms ( for brake shoes)
- VN - VS bearing retaining plates for both sides
- backing shields (stop stones, etc from getting into rear brake shoes,recommended)
- VN- VS Commodore rear brake calipers & pads
- New axle shaft bearings (for rear disc only, they have a thicker seal)
- Handbrake cable
I used the VN wagon cable in the VL for a while but eventually got a sedan one (required to do the job properly, it is shorter, of course you'd use a wagon one in a wagon).
There was someone who said that you have to use a VL one but I've proven them wrong, the difference between the two is the VL's handbrake cable is attached to the lever which is located at the top of the bearing retaining bracket in a VL but is located at the bottom in the VL and there is no drama using a VN one on a VL.
0 likes
Correct, the revision from VN onwards just turns the handbrake mechanism upside down.
0 likes