Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

VL - VZ Borg Warner/Dana diff pinion seal replacement

Started by RB30DEVL · 29 Sept 2012 · 0 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

RB30DEVLArchived member
I mentioned a while back that I all of the sudden had a diff pinion seal in my VY Commodore SS, this diff has previously been rebuilt (back in 2002 when the car was new) to change the diff ratio from 3.45:1 down to 3.9:1, the diff pinion seal was leaking back in 2008 when I bought the car so I decided to get in and change it, they fitted the Ford type. Firstly, I speedi sleeved the diff yoke but the seal only lasted for probably a month afterwards. Secondly, I fitted a brand new genuine Dana diff yoke which I ordered from Autopro who ordered it through Holden, that worked o.k. for 6 months till winter hit then all of the sudden, it started leaking again. By spring ,it was starting to get worse though the leak would close up when the diff got warm, so I tried ordering the original Borg Warner Salisbury pinion seal through E-bay, I'll list the 2 different types to show you what I mean :- The bottom image is for an EB onwards Falcon and is listed as a genuine Ford part on Ebay, the one on top is the same as the ones which originally came out of the VL onwards Commodore diffs (does a Cortina as well) and has the bare metal outer shell, unlike the Ford unit which has its outer shell coated in neoprene. Why I say the Ford unit it bad is I don't think the neoprene can handle the heat generated at that point ( the surface area is too small), I don't know if Ford have had this problem and I don't know what seals the Holden units have in them, but I thought I'd give the top one a try. I think because the fact the neoprene gets so hot, it gets a bit brittle and all the voids the neoprene fills in in the seal housing open up when the diff cools allowing oil to seep out, for example, there's an oil channel cast in around the small pinion bearing to allow oil to get past the bearing and lubricate the oil seal. Even when I put non hardening sealant on the splines and around the seal, the neoprene one leaked after a while, so now I'm giving the older type a go. Note a lot of those parts carry over from the VT Commodore as Dana bought Borg Warner out when Holden releases the VX Commodore. I got the torque settings from a Mitsubushi L300 manual actually as their diff is made by them in Japan I think (Aisin Warner) so 200NM was fine as that's all my torque wrench will go up to, that one looks more like a Banjo diff but (removable centre). Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today1

12,666 threads, 100,588 posts and 1,281 images saved from CT

37.0% of indexed threads saved