Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Oil pressure question.

Started by Jordo2 · 22 Sept 2012 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Jordo2Archived member
Hi all, I just today started my freshly built forged motor. I have a nitto oil pump with the 75psi spring. I'm using straight 30 running in oil, and I have a new mechanical oil press gauge with metal line.....there's a lot of spare metal line coiled up behind the dash if that makes any difference when answering my question? Wen I was running the cam in, I was fluctuating between 1500-2500rpm, and noticed the oil press gauge was very slow to react in general? and at 2500rpm oil press was around 40psi?...is this about right at this rpm? Because my old stock Vlt had about 70ish psi at about 3000rpm. Cheers all.
0 likes
vxxxArchived member
It may be possible you've got an airlock in the line to your gauge. May just need to be bled at the back of your gauge
0 likes
Jordo2Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vxxx [View Post] It may be possible you've got an airlock in the line to your gauge. May just need to be bled at the back of your gauge Thanks for that , i didn't know some gauges needed to be bled. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
pigsyArchived member
with the car running just crack the fitting a little you have to do it real quick or you will have oil everywhere just let it idle but at 2500rpm sound about rite for it to have around 40psi when it warm if it was still cold l would be a little concerned
0 likes
Jordo2Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by pigsy [View Post] with the car running just crack the fitting a little you have to do it real quick or you will have oil everywhere just let it idle but at 2500rpm sound about rite for it to have around 40psi when it warm if it was still cold l would be a little concerned Cheers mate, I did notice the orig vl oil press gauge went straight to max wen it was cold, and dropped to about 3/4 at 2000ish rpm wen warmed up, however I don't know what the increments work out to be on the orig gauge? But at the same time the mechanical gauge really took ages to finally get to 40, and if I fluctuated the revs itd respond really slow aswel..so slo it's basically useless. I forgot to mention that my bottom end has larger clearances and the main oil feeds have been drilled out to 7mm..I'm not too sure if this will have an effect on oil press?
0 likes
TroyVKArchived member
My 2j has around 45psi on idle 1k-1100rpm when warm Not sure how different the rb30 is?
0 likes
Jordo2Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TroyVK [View Post] My 2j has around 45psi on idle 1k-1100rpm when warm Not sure how different the rb30 is? I'm not sure about the 2J?. However the rb26 have the N1 pump that has 120psi due to feeding twin turbos and piston oil squirters. So if it's anything like that it'll prob have more pressure generally to supply the extras... If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone here will correct me . Ive got the 120 psi spring aswel for the nitto pump, but opted to use the 75psi spring, as 120 is often too much for the rb30's I'm told. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today104

9,430 threads, 65,653 posts and 795 images saved from CT

27.5% of indexed threads saved