Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Vn v8 won't start

Started by Mr Calais · 6 Sept 2012 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Mr CalaisArchived member
Hey gang.. My 89 vn v8 Calais has been hard to start. It cranks for about 5 seconds then start and runs ruff like it has a cam in it and the motor light stays on till you rev it or drive forward then it goes off and I hear a click from the ecu or gas switch.. Then the other day it would not start it just cranks till the batter goes flat. I have replaced the ecu, coil, rotor button, ignition mod and relays as well.. The fuel pump is loud and makes a hissing sound.. I can hear it sparking in the dizy and the relays go click when I turn the key and I have even taken a lead off and no spark from a lead.. Any ideas cos I'm out of them now and need it going..
0 likes
yortArchived member
Plugs, distributor cap, leads, distributor itself Check spark coming from coil then you know if it's isolated at the distributor or not
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Should I check for spark the same way at the plug leads. Is it possible for all 8 leads to die at the same time? I've had the car 16 months and there still the same leads and plugs.
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr Calais [View Post] Should I check for spark the same way at the plug leads. Is it possible for all 8 leads to die at the same time? I've had the car 16 months and there still the same leads and plugs. Yes check spark at plug lead, put a screwdriver up the lead and arc it across your strut tower nut or similar. You need to start isolating the problem so start at the lead and work your way back to the distributor. It won't be leads if you've got no spark at all I wouldn't mind betting your coil has died, so test it or take it in to get tested If that is okay, check the coil lead to ensure its has spark into the top of the distributor cap
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Sweet thanks heaps for the help. I just got home now from work and going out to the car. Just wanna hear it fire up.. ---------- Post added 07-09-12 at 11:30 ---------- I have spark from the coil via a lead but nothing coming from the dizy so it the hall effect sensor.? The code is code 12 and that's everything is ok.. Souls I just get a new whole dizy unit? ---------- Post added 07-09-12 at 13:58 ---------- Still nothing from the dizy. Got power and spark from the new coil as well as the old coil.. Went down to Lilydale Holden and talked to a mechanic and he said the just stop working and it's most likley to be it. I have replaced coil, cap and button, ignition mod and got different leads of my mechanic mate.. Gunna have to get a few mates to push it into the car port tomorrow and take te bonnet and manifold off to do the dizzy when it comes in on Monday. Have to fix a manifold oil leak so might as well take the day off and do the lot..
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr Calais [View Post] Sweet thanks heaps for the help. I just got home now from work and going out to the car. Just wanna hear it fire up.. ---------- Post added 07-09-12 at 11:30 ---------- I have spark from the coil via a lead but nothing coming from the dizy so it the hall effect sensor.? The code is code 12 and that's everything is ok.. Souls I just get a new whole dizy unit? ---------- Post added 07-09-12 at 13:58 ---------- Still nothing from the dizy. Got power and spark from the new coil as well as the old coil.. Went down to Lilydale Holden and talked to a mechanic and he said the just stop working and it's most likley to be it. I have replaced coil, cap and button, ignition mod and got different leads of my mechanic mate.. Gunna have to get a few mates to push it into the car port tomorrow and take te bonnet and manifold off to do the dizzy when it comes in on Monday. Have to fix a manifold oil leak so might as well take the day off and do the lot.. Take the dizzy out and take it to get tested before buying a new one
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
I will take it out tomorrow and take it to an auto elect to test it.. ---------- Post added 09-09-12 at 20:49 ---------- Is it possible to swap a dizy over while the manifold is still on? Taking the cap, leads and button off to take it out..
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Done the dizy with out taking the manifold off. Heaps easy to do. Still don't start and have spent 500 in new parts and hours or anger Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
After cranking are the spark plugs wet with fuel , is the coil and dizzy getting a pulse
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
No wet plugs, plugs have a weak spark. Might try another coil. If the wires are on wrong on the coil could that be a weak spark?
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
So with the weak spark does it even try to start like cough or anything if not check the injectors are plusing ( clicking ) or check with a noide light if can get your hands on one
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Ant_man [View Post] So with the weak spark does it even try to start like cough or anything if not check the injectors are plusing ( clicking ) or check with a noide light if can get your hands on one Get a mobile mechanic to come look at before spending anymore money mate Less swearing and maybe an extra $100 out pocket in labour but worth no farking around on your part. Crack a beer and watch him work and learn a little
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
What about the trigger module on the passenger side guard, borrow one and see if it is that before you buy one. Do you have fuel pressure?
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Ant_man [View Post] So with the weak spark does it even try to start like cough or anything if not check the injectors are plusing ( clicking ) or check with a noide light if can get your hands on one No it's does not cough at all, just cranks over now. I can hear the pump priming and the injectors are working when cranking it over. I will take a fuel line off tomorrow and crank it and see if it shoots fuel out. It does not start on lpg or petrol.. It's a sprint gas system 3 years old.. Not injection its the other with the adapter on the tb..
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
In the first post you mentioned changing the ignition module , are you talking about the trigger module on the gaurd next to the air box i had this fail on my senator would just crank over and nothing at all no cough nothing , check this is getting power and swap with a known good unit if possible ---------- Post added 11-09-12 at 20:04 ---------- If it wont start on gas that tends to elimnates fuel as a problem only leaving spark or mechanical fault
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Got a reco ignition modual on te front left guard. The silver box with two plugs.. I got the new and old coil tested and there both good so the auto elect said.. Swapped computers and still the same.. Still getting code 12 everything is ok.. Got the wife ringing a few mobile mechanics this morning to see if someone can make it over today to have a look..
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr Calais [View Post] Got a reco ignition modual on te front left guard. The silver box with two plugs.. I got the new and old coil tested and there both good so the auto elect said.. Swapped computers and still the same.. Still getting code 12 everything is ok.. Got the wife ringing a few mobile mechanics this morning to see if someone can make it over today to have a look.. they will find it in 5 minutes and you'll spew you didn't do it earlier. I hope they get it sorted for you mate
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
I bet it's something simple. I just need him to find what it is and I can fix it.. Thanks for the help guys ---------- Post added 12-09-12 at 15:09 ---------- Well He found the starting problem.. the brand new dizy has a stuffed hall effect sensor.. The new new dizy will be in tomorrow before lunch.. The earth pin in the dizy was not earthing out and sending signal back..
0 likes
Ant_manArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr Calais [View Post] I bet it's something simple. I just need him to find what it is and I can fix it.. Thanks for the help guys ---------- Post added 12-09-12 at 15:09 ---------- Well He found the starting problem.. the brand new dizy has a stuffed hall effect sensor.. The new new dizy will be in tomorrow before lunch.. The earth pin in the dizy was not earthing out and sending signal back.. Got to hate it when new parts turn out to be faulty n give you the bum steer, had a hi6 ignition that when held upside down engine would run turn it up right way to mount it and engine would stall never did figure it out just mounted it under the glove box upside down
0 likes
Mr CalaisArchived member
Well the new dizy is in and still no starting even jump starting of the wife's carnival. I found out there was no fuel preasure at all from the tank. 2 mechanics missed that so just put a new in tank pump. The old rubber from the pipe to the pump was gone... Tried ringing the mobile mechanic back again and get put on hold straight away. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today109

11,574 threads, 87,842 posts and 1,163 images saved from CT

33.8% of indexed threads saved