Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

First Time building an engine !!!

Started by VL219 · 2 Sept 2012 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VL219Archived member
Hi Recently got my self a project vl it's a series 2 ! Bout 6yrs ago I also purchased a rb26dett for a project but unfortunately personal issues came up and the engine has been under wraps and still on the engine stand waiting to be put together.. I know it's been asked but I'm very new to this and IDE like to get some help in wat the absolute essentials are needed to team up the rb26 to the vl .. I also have a rb30 bottom end that I'm thinking of mating with the 26 head!! Plz don't rip me head off .. Thanks guys archie
0 likes
VL219Archived member
Surely one one can help me out?? Or send me a link plz fellas !
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=257116
0 likes
VL219Archived member
Boys wat gearbox am a looking for to fit the vl and rb26 ??? Should I go auto or manual??
0 likes
VL219Archived member
Hey boys started ripping the rb30 out of the car today.. Have decided to go 30 bottom end and 26 head ! Forged motor Going for a twin turbo setup Powerglide Fuel setup and maybe a shot of nos ) Want to crack the 9's Going all out! Will post up pics when I got time .. Selling the rb26 block and crank shaft if anyone's interested ?? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PetrosArchived member
you dont need a 26 head to run 9's !
0 likes
VL219Archived member
Petros ur absolutely right bro , a close mate of mine will be helping with the build and he suggested to go with the 26 head as I already have one from yrs ago that's been sitting in the garage..
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
I have heard that the rb25 heads fit better with the oil and water galleries and the rb26 head requires drilling into the rb30 or something to make it line up. Is that true???
0 likes
VL219Archived member
From memory the rb26 uses 12 mill head bolts as the 30 uses 10 mill so drill and tap would be necessary... The oil drain and water passage is different to it sits in the corner so better speak with the mechanic to figure it out.. Other than that should fit straight up!!
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HTURBO [View Post] I have heard that the rb25 heads fit better with the oil and water galleries and the rb26 head requires drilling into the rb30 or something to make it line up. Is that true??? I've heard the same, all in all I thought it was better to go the 25 head.
0 likes
VL219Archived member
What do u guys suggest on a box for the vl and that can handle good power?
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
MX7 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL...em 35be1c2581 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL-Turbo-MX7-Commodore-Gearbox-Reconditoned-/230822782337?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be1c2581)) or R33 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-R3...em 35bee8ab0a (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-R33-GTST-Skyline-5-Speed-Manual-Gearbox-Reconditioned-/230836185866?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bee8ab0a)) The R33 will handle more power. But a few modifications are needed.
0 likes
H.AsaadArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VL219 [View Post] From memory the rb26 uses 12 mill head bolts as the 30 uses 10 mill so drill and tap would be necessary... The oil drain and water passage is different to it sits in the corner so better speak with the mechanic to figure it out.. Other than that should fit straight up!! Standard rb30 head bolt size are M12X1.75 and rb26 are M14X2.0 iirc. You'll just have to run a tap down the threads no need to drill.
0 likes
VL219Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HTURBO [View Post] MX7 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL...em 35be1c2581 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL-Turbo-MX7-Commodore-Gearbox-Reconditoned-/230822782337?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be1c2581)) or R33 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-R3...em 35bee8ab0a (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-R33-GTST-Skyline-5-Speed-Manual-Gearbox-Reconditioned-/230836185866?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bee8ab0a)) The R33 will handle more power. But a few modifications are needed. Thank for ur link bro , I think I might use the standard rb30 box but I'll strip in down and take it to ALS race glides and tell em to trick it up!! That way I know 100% it's going to bolt up to the 30 As I said I'm learning as I'm going and getting info and advise on doing work .. Appreciate ur help bro. ---------- Post added 16-09-12 at 18:03 ---------- Today me and a few of the boys finished off taking the rb30 out was easier than I thought, now it's going to the builder for acid dip and machining then slowly itt will get built.. I'll keep u updated..
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today109

11,873 threads, 90,588 posts and 1,219 images saved from CT

34.7% of indexed threads saved