Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Removing Window Etching

Started by NZER · 2 Sept 2012 · 13 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

NZERArchived member
The car has the Rego Plate etched into all the windows!! Has anyone tried to or know how to remove them? I have some ideas but thought I'd ask the crew first.
0 likes
NZ-SXYHDTArchived member
theres a scrap booking stuff (sister in law does it) that etchs glass, put it on liquid form and it eats it like sand blasting. could do that over the existing ones then redo them? i can find out where to get it from and what it is if you want? cheers Kelvin
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT [View Post] theres a scrap booking stuff (sister in law does it) that etchs glass, put it on liquid form and it eats it like sand blasting. could do that over the existing ones then redo them? i can find out where to get it from and what it is if you want? cheers Kelvin Yea Kelv. I kind of didn't want to replace every piece of glass.
0 likes
NZ_GTSArchived member
I would have thought that etching over the top would be the only way to remove it. However, the old plate still remains in your vehicle's history, so parts could be traced back to you should the unthinkable happen.
0 likes
NZ-SXYHDTArchived member
ill let you know what the stuff is Ben. ---------- Post added 03-09-12 at 07:13 ---------- http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/othe...-508602010.htm (http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/other/auction-508602010.htm) this is the stuff, works well, seen it in action. Get ya scrap booking on lol
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Mate do not get that stuff on your paint!!Also you will be etching over etching and it will not be clean and clear.If it was me I would be leaving it.
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Sweet. I've got another idea to look at. I don't really want to leave it as I've got p-plates and it will look dumb. Just bugs me. Maybe worth replacing them all.
0 likes
NEM SSArchived member
What is the plate etched on the glass say that makes you want to get rid of it? Would just look like a serial number?
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NEM SS [View Post] What is the plate etched on the glass say that makes you want to get rid of it? Would just look like a serial number? I'm putting on a personalised plate. Just want them gone.
0 likes
hsvhelArchived member
when i got the vin re-printed for the torana, those etchings were one of the marks VINZ looked for as identification back to the origional rego. Unless it really bugs you, no one really notices them. i wouldn't worry, the rest of your car will catch attention before the windows, its coming along great
0 likes
SIKVLTArchived member
I'll be a cnut and point them out everytime muhahaha
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIKVLT [View Post] I'll be a cnut and point them out everytime muhahaha And that is why!!!!! Hahaha.
0 likes
RollinArchived member
I have etchings on my windows too and have had the P plate on there since i got car (1st thing i did). I was gonna remove mine as well but couldnt fir\gure out how to do it so have left them. Gives the car a history in my opinion.. LOL
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Rollin [View Post] I have etchings on my windows too and have had the P plate on there since i got car (1st thing i did). I was gonna remove mine as well but couldnt fir\gure out how to do it so have left them. Gives the car a history in my opinion.. LOL I only really wanted to do the very rear quarter window as the mouldings are stuck on. The rest is fairly easy to replace. I've got some other stuff to try but haven't done it yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

14,848 threads, 137,631 posts and 1,574 images saved from CT

43.4% of indexed threads saved