Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

VL Berlina On LPG Geelong>Perth

Started by jimmyb · 25 Aug 2012 · 5 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

jimmybArchived member
Hey, Been a while.. =/ Time to post up the ol girl, for she has been a part of my life for a year now. Make/Model: 88 Berlina Colour: Silver/Metallic Bodykit: N/A Engine Type: RB30 Engine Mods: LPG Conversion Power: Stock Exhaust: Stock Gearbox: Stock Diff: Stock Brakes:Stock Suspension: Stock Wheels/Tyres: Stockies Interior: Blue/Berlina & Leather Seats (Blue) Stereo: Kenwood Other Mods: Bumpers/Moulds Painted Silver Future mods: Paint Job *Metal Flake* Silver (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/19893210150154646252022.jpg/) I drove My Berlina Across Australia on jan 2nd With No Problems!!! However when i got here the police seemed to be a problem.. Had been pulled over 12 times in a month =O And a month ago I lost my licence for 3 months (Arm out the window) =( Now has a yellow sticker i didnt remove, and now am roadworthying it for WA, after *MAJOR* from the pits, I Will post up more info and Pictures later, Including my adventure =) I Have Done Some Panel Work, Petrol Tank issues, Currently Reworking the suspension components and steering rack. Cant wait for her to hit Perth Streets AGAIN!! The Car was always in Very good condition, as it had been garaged for ten year with 170,000 kmson the clock. I also drove here in my white 87 exec on feb 2nd! Which is another story all together 88 Berlina on LPG. Across Australia! Only cost me about $700 dollars in juice, 3 sleeps, in 52 or so hours =) The Berlina the first night we had it, After having our first two stolen this one was well guarded and cherished. =) Had some panel damage and much was done to get her roadworthy,.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/53017110151126620672022.jpg/) The Collection Minus The BT1V8 (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/39957210151150406042022.jpg/) A Cruise with Geelong VL Cruisers Legit from fb earlier in the year.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/40824410151150406262022.jpg/) And another.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/30405110150424572032316.jpg/) And the third.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/54467725035304839619218.jpg/) /] [/URL] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/28531510150265009362022.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/27055510150265009417022m.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/28135910150265021662022.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/28534410150265021742022.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/42887410151125076667022.jpg/) New years eve outside the homehouse club Geelong. Day Before we Left! Yes that is an actual midget he love the old girl! (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/53936010151125130787022.jpg/) New Years Day, went down the beach in anglesea, as to go as far east to west as possible. =) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/32029510151150405752022.jpg/) Preparing for the adventure that night! We left at 2am (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/39151310151125074037022.jpg/) On the strip, first park in Adelaide, 12pm the next day. =) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/39439710151125073402022.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/54242810151125070692022.jpg/) The phone died and we were pretty uneasy, but the old girl got us through no worries! *90 mile straight* This pic's *Into the sunset* (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/56276510151125084707022.jpg/) After ariving in perth for a day, the missus was surprised with an O face when I said we werent finished yet! We had to go to the beach! All the way west! This is the final pic taken at Joondalup as the summer sun set. Yay. Courtesy VicRoads for the random "CKY" plates. Got me pulled over 12 times in 5 weeks. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/10463101511251492320223.jpg/) Victory! (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/38689310151118874262022.jpg/) Then it was a constant battle to keep her beutiful ripe fresh interior, out of the sun at all cost's! Exaust first to go, Fixed that tickering manifold, then a bearing, the brakes were bit rusty thats all. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/39394710151125083852022.jpg/) Put her in the panel shop for some much needed attention, had the pass lock removed, Then after four months, Lost my licence for having the old arm out the window. *fml* then in the months grace, got the yellow at 3.30 in the mourning on way to work, Tyres and check lights they said, (My alternator wire was snapped) Had lights on park, Fixed the old alternator wire, pushed the yellow a week past its expirery.. Then in the shed she goes.. only 5 weeks left untill she back in action now! (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/54430410150898212923874.jpg/) Which leads me to this 2 weeks ago, a quick dismantling.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/57468610151122635562022.jpg/) Then all this.. All bushes due to a Power steerin mess from the Steering rack and pump. Also long time Leak of Tranny Frluid from the front hose =/ Wrecks Everything Rubber. Boot Bushes Just Fell out.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/31199010151124301127022.jpg/) And the VK steering rack the mechanic assured me would fit dosent. lol Good times with him yesterday seeing as I bought it 6 weeks ago. =/ Hopefully he'll fix me up for it.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/57466910151150458167022.jpg/) And now Im more interested in going back for my BT1V8 - Cruise For Charity vic, AND DOING IT ALL AGAIN over to Cruise for Charity WA, lol - cheers =D jimmyb Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
jimmybArchived member
Thanx Mr Wrecker he has replaced the steering rack with one that fits, 4 weeks to go until i get my licence back, Hopefully have her ready by then =) Forgot to mention, I lost my licence due to (I had my arm out the window). It was purerly to feel how hot the air was outside! *Very hot*.. The police said- "What were you doing? Waving at us?" - No (-.-)
0 likes
jimmybArchived member
The Steering Rack Suppied looks like its in bad shape, And my old one looks like its brand new? =/ (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/54197210151176537132022.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/26913210151176537532022.jpg/) I cant see anything wrong with mine, although it was quit dirty.. After a clean the origanal one came up nice. (Mine is the nice looking one) Much better than the one a piad 150 for.. Dont know why mine got picked on the roady?? Maybe I will go ask a p/steering place if it all good. I changed the Power Steering Pump also, as its suspicious in making some of the mess i think... (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/15612710151176536817022.jpg/) Also the position of the little pipes is different.. A VN Steering rack?? And the rack i just bought didnt come with the little pipes.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/54636110151176534422022.jpg/) ---------- Post added 17-09-12 at 22:31 ---------- Then the And the panhard rod bushes need to be pressed, Clean Everything under the car inside and out and ajust the handbrake.. After I change the "leaky" Strut tower.. and I paint a few components, I'll put these bad boys in along with the rack,.. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/42477010151176537892022.jpg/) Clean Everything under the car inside and out and ajust the handbrake.. The rekon I need to weld the boots back into the control arm coz they will just fall out, or buy new control arms.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ekulArchived member
cool mate good job keep the updates coming always good reading other peoples projects
0 likes
jimmybArchived member
So I have cleaned up all the components ready to go back in last week,.. The ball joints have been pressed back into the control arms, -Along with a little tac weld to stop them from falling out.. The panhard rod bushes are pressed ready to go aswell.. Still need boot lock and to adjust the hand brake.. and a drivers side mirror.. Now Im looking at my struts thinking about cleaning them up or replacing them.. I have 2 from a V8calais wondering are they the same?? Will it make a diff? Sucks as I have new bearings in my discs.. The Bearing plates (spinning thing on top of struts) are looking good on mine, But the V8 struts are better looking with more tread on the discs.. but with buggered bearing plates.. New Bearing Plates are 150+ each, bit much.. So now before I put it all back in Im gonna try to swap the bearing plates, -While the struts are out of the car... or just bolt them back into the tower, compress the springs.. Um.. thenn.. Research is needed for this I think.. Bloody Complicated mess it is, I forgot how to do it.. Without air tools.. Awell ---------- Post added 13-10-12 at 17:16 ---------- Also After I came here, I had a large water issue, Ended up being a leak from the heater hose, *Hell of a spot for the old hand to fit* (had a little mountain of stop-leak under it) lol, and I had an injector hose blow its load The fuel pump hose blow its load and then the fuel>injector rail hose blow its load , I copped a face full of petrol with that one! Engine bay didnt catch on fire The air con worked finally half way across australia when we really needed it, ONLY By Moving BOTH the controls Down, Then the right one up to the middle Also when I first Roady'd the car, in march 2011 and Last Year when it was having a few problems After the Fuel Pump Fuse kept blowing up, (I put a paper clip in there and it Glowed red hot which didnt even do anything) I had the mechanic (coz I cbf'd at the time) fix the old- New AFM, New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Filter, New Injectors, New Dizzy Plug, Messy Rocker cover - Cleaned up nice, New Axles, New Windshield, Replaced struts/Bearing Plates, Replaced Tail Shaft, Replaced Discs/Brakes, The boot lock- While having a rest on a long drive, The Speakers were playing up, So I Fixed the speaker wires in the boot... and.. Managed to leave the key in there.. Lucky I had Pliers and a flat head in the glove box at the time Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
jimmybArchived member
All is back together again! I put the rack back in without lining the steering clumn up right fml But in 20mins was in the right spot again yay Seems to be at normal ride height despite the V8 shocks.. Just need a rattle gun to belt the big bolt in the strut tower down.. and a boot lock.. And she's DONE.. Im sure the next time at the pits for the RWC they'll find some other bewlshiet to pick.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today91

7,520 threads, 49,831 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved