Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Pinging!!!!!!!!!

Started by yort · 22 Aug 2012 · 37 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

yortArchived member
hey all, I've searched through different threads on here and I'm lost to what's going on. I've got a VL converted to turbo (manuak with proper turbo ecu) and can't get it to stop pinging under high boost, its okay until about 4500 to 5000 rpm then it starts pinging (bad sometimes). I have done an ECU diagnostic check and code 34 is coming up. I don't have a knock sensor installed and I can't find the single white wire off the loom so I'm assuming the previous owner just changed the ECU and not the loom. I have checked the timing and adjusted it to 15 btdc and also 20 btdc and same thing but does improve SLIGHTLY at 20 2 questions a/ do i need to run the knock sensor to fix this and b/ what else could be (i know this is an open ended question but I'll try anything ATM) Accurate advise will be much appreciated Cheers
0 likes
madrexArchived member
How much boost you running and what injectors and is it intercooled and what fuel use 98 or not
0 likes
BaxArchived member
And what cam. Sounds like it has disaster all over it. Retard the timing until it's fixed. And you say high boost? wtf is high boost? Knock that down to standard as well until you get things sorted.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Is it high comp engine or low comp?
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Is it high comp engine or low comp? Ok, standard engine, I don't know how much boost it's currently running I assume standard as its all stock gear including brown injectors...if I get a boost gauge how do I wind the boost down if it's high? I'm also running 98 in it ATM and no cooler
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
So the engine is turbo from factory? Double check the waste gate is working properly. Pull the vacuum hose off the waste gate, pul a compressor in the hose to the waste gate, set the pressure reg on the compressor to 7psi, at that pressure, the waste gate actuator rod will move, opening the wastegate, if it doesnt, up the pressure in the line gradually untill it does, if your seeing 10 psi or more and it isnt moving, try replacing the actuator. Also If its not that, double check the ecu is a turbo one, check and clean injectors after that. Im not sure if the knock sensor will be a reason for the pinging, I think its there more so that if it sense the knock, it retards the timing so the knocking stops. Basically, its going to be either Air/Fuel ratio So boost or injectors Or Timing advance, possible ECU
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
or your motor is shagged
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 12maneym [View Post] or your motor is shagged Not factory turbo, will check the actuator and if it's not that I'll send it to the tuner The motor is not shagged!!!
0 likes
madrexArchived member
Id say to much timing or boost forsure get it to a tuner and sort it out DONT thrash it till its sort or bang
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
for a start you put a turbo on a na motor with no cooler or boost guage. 20 degrees is way too much timing. id suggest gettin a cooler, a boost guage and some colder spark plugs. if it still pings sell it and buy a lada
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 12maneym [View Post] for a start you put a turbo on a na motor with no cooler or boost guage. 20 degrees is way too much timing. id suggest gettin a cooler, a boost guage and some colder spark plugs. if it still pings sell it and buy a lada Just to be clear, I didn't set it up, I'm just trying to sort it out so it's safe to drive I won't be far king around with it too much, I'll rip it out and put a ls1 in it if it needs too many dollars spent on it
0 likes
madrexArchived member
It will be fine it just needs a intercooler timing set right and about 8 to 10psi and 98 fuel
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
I don't the same thing driving my vl with standard t3 on 14psi standard ecu and blew the cam seal out the front of the motor a 1500$ lesson well learnt
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Is it a high compression turbo setup or low compression turbo setup?? Doesn't the ecu retard the timing if it's pinging??
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HTURBO [View Post] Is it a high compression turbo setup or low compression turbo setup?? Doesn't the ecu retard the timing if it's pinging?? Only if the knock sensor is in, which it isnt I dont think. Check out the things I suggested, its easy and will only take a few hours. If you cant sort it yourself, take it to a tuner and get the a/f ration checked, and the boost set. Anything else is a waste of money until you find the problem, putting a cooler on it wont unblock an injector. You can keep chasing your tail, or start with the basics, easy.
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Only if the knock sensor is in, which it isnt I dont think. Check out the things I suggested, its easy and will only take a few hours. If you cant sort it yourself, take it to a tuner and get the a/f ration checked, and the boost set. Anything else is a waste of money until you find the problem, putting a cooler on it wont unblock an injector. You can keep chasing your tail, or start with the basics, easy. Cheers, will try those few things tomorrow....double checked the ecu and yep it's the turbo manual one... Where is the dial on the ecu suppose to be pointing? It is currently pointing at 12 o'clock 'idle' there is also an option to the left and an option to the right, where is it suppose to be set?
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
If the knock sensor is out of circuit, it will take 5 degrees off anyway won't it unless the pins are shorted? What does the "pinging" sound like?
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] If the knock sensor is out of circuit, it will take 5 degrees off anyway won't it unless the pins are shorted? What does the "pinging" sound like? Top end rattle
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Like rocks on a tin roof or a constant noise that repeats at the same interval
0 likes
yortArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] Like rocks on a tin roof or a constant noise that repeats at the same interval Comes on at same revs every time, I'd say about 3/4 throttle 4500 to 5000 rpm
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today109

11,613 threads, 88,036 posts and 1,170 images saved from CT

33.9% of indexed threads saved