Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

what bell housing for powerglide to rb30

Started by haches · 20 Aug 2012 · 15 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

hachesArchived member
Can anyone tell me what bell housing i need to put a powerglide behind my rb30 in my vl? Does someone make a bellhousing to hook it straight up or do u just need an adaptor plate or some thing? Any help would be gr8
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
an adaptor ring goes between a standard jatco bellhousing and powerglide box
0 likes
86SLVLTArchived member
pm cookie747 he can get them quite cheap
0 likes
AlthoatsArchived member
adapter ring and jatco housing, cheap and simple you will need a custom stall to go from an RB30 flex plate to powerglide shaft
0 likes
cookie747Archived member
thanks man, i can supply the adapter plate kits if you need for $350 which includes the bolts needed. just bolt on a jatco bellhousing on and your done. obviously needs to be a 6 cylinder case or machined down v8 one
0 likes
chasdmArchived member
sorry to hijack your thread HACHES Do they go straight in or do you need to alter the trans tunnel and, what shifter does everyone use? I am keen on the b m quicksilver? cheers
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
You have to molest the tunnel, or if your keen on doing it properly put in a larger one. And I don't think they make quicksilver shifters to suit a 2 speed? I have a b&m pro ratchet which I think you'll find is the most common, as well as the b&m pro stick. Hope that helps
0 likes
chasdmArchived member
when you say molest, how far do you have to go? would you be able to restore it back easily?
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Carpet out, and a fair bit of heat into where the floor meets the trans tunnel on either side. The d$ck for the gear selector on pass side, and the lines to/from the tranny cooler on the drivers. I wouldn't look back after putting one in my car
0 likes
cookie747Archived member
its not that bad to do, just beat the two sides out with a small steel mallet and trial fit it and make sure its got clearance. i never bothered to heat it and it came up nicely. pro ratchet is most common b&m shifter
0 likes
dvs_wgnArchived member
Yes I have not looked back since my power glide.. And I also didn't use heat.. Although cookie did lend a hand it wasn't that hard of a job!!
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
And quick silver do make them For glide as I have one there universal 2 and 3 speed as they have lugs u remove and refit in the required locations to stop the ratchet where needed, best move I have done so far least I know I won't need to fix that item again
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
Lucky boys, I spose using the heat was just easier. Oh yeah that's alright then, I know the ratchets have the pins to change from 3-2 speed and 3-4 speed vice versa but didn't realize the quicksilver allowed for it. Good stuff!
0 likes
chasdmArchived member
Thanks guys, all your info is much appreciated. cheers
0 likes
chunksArchived member
Do you guys find your trans temps get high when cruising with a big converter?
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
No man not at all my temps barely move the gauge unless I use the brake hehe then it shoots up pretty quick
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today90

7,519 threads, 49,751 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved