Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Door Belt Set for VL

Started by NZER · 19 Aug 2012 · 14 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

NZERArchived member
Anyone bought a new set recently? Just wondered if anyone had bought a set from someone else other than Rare Spares. I've seen them advertised on eBay. Also what the fit and make of them are like compared to factory? My walky ones a dry and brittle. Here is a link for the Rare Spares ones: http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespa...MODORE&car=17L (http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=partsfinder&pno=0&productgroup=WEATHER+STRIPS+%26+RUBBERS&brand=HOLDEN&model=VL+COMMODORE&car=17L)
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Yes I have and I got from rares,The rubber on there ones is much more flexiable.One you put them on spray them with rubber spray and close the doors for 24 hrs,Then they will fit perfectly,If you don't it will takes ages for them to sit nicely. Cheers Marty
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ss nut [View Post] Yes I have and I got from rares,The rubber on there ones is much more flexiable.One you put them on spray them with rubber spray and close the doors for 24 hrs,Then they will fit perfectly,If you don't it will takes ages for them to sit nicely. Cheers Marty Marty, did you staple yours back on or rivot them? Looks like none of the kits have a mounting hardware. Ben
0 likes
VL-DanArchived member
Your talking about the rubber strips which seal against the window glass? I think Marty is referring to the door rubber seals which you need to have the door closed for 24 hours after fitting so they mould to the door shape. The weather strips (which seal against the glass) go brittle as you mention then start scratching your glass when you wind it up and down. I know this first hand I think Rarespares sell the inside strips but they dont sell the outer strips which have the stainless trim built into them. Ive removed my outer ones and given them a good clean, then used some rubber reconditioner to help replenish the rubber as there wasn't much else to do I know Mike has a set of NOS outer strips but they arn't for sale.....at the moment Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
gasguzlerArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VL-Dan [View Post] . Ive removed my outer ones and given them a good clean, then used some rubber reconditioner to help replenish the rubber as there wasn't much else to do I know Mike has a set of NOS outer strips but they arn't for sale.....at the moment Also have the same problem on mine, crappy holden mouldings! Did cleaning them up and using rubber conditioner soften them up a bit?? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZ-SXYHDTArchived member
http://www.raj.co.nz/pdfs/raj_waistseal.pdf You could go see these guys- R.A Johnson. I took my HZ ute glass felt to them to compare and it was cheap but high quality. I bought all my other rubbers from Autolab in Henderson (same as rare spares stuff) cost $1200 and they door rubbers didnt fit well at all. was never happy with them. ---------- Post added 19-08-12 at 16:24 ---------- also try "grafhite powder" to help the movement in the channels. puff it into the channels and run the windows up and down, makes huge difference with the ol electric windows. can get it from Repco etc, Stocks even sell it!!
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VL-Dan [View Post] Your talking about the rubber strips which seal against the window glass? I think Marty is referring to the door rubber seals which you need to have the door closed for 24 hours after fitting so they mould to the door shape. The weather strips (which seal against the glass) go brittle as you mention then start scratching your glass when you wind it up and down. I know this first hand I think Rarespares sell the inside strips but they dont sell the outer strips which have the stainless trim built into them. Ive removed my outer ones and given them a good clean, then used some rubber reconditioner to help replenish the rubber as there wasn't much else to do I know Mike has a set of NOS outer strips but they arn't for sale.....at the moment Yea that's them Dan. They call them door belts. I posted the link to them. I just wanted to know if Rare Spares were the best and fitted well or if to try else where. They are on eBay Oz for quiet a lot less. But that doesn't mean they are as good as product. My outers are in pretty good nick. Think they could have been replaced before me. ---------- Post added 19-08-12 at 19:53 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT [View Post] http://www.raj.co.nz/pdfs/raj_waistseal.pdf You could go see these guys- R.A Johnson. I took my HZ ute glass felt to them to compare and it was cheap but high quality. I bought all my other rubbers from Autolab in Henderson (same as rare spares stuff) cost $1200 and they door rubbers didnt fit well at all. was never happy with them. ---------- Post added 19-08-12 at 16:24 ---------- also try "grafhite powder" to help the movement in the channels. puff it into the channels and run the windows up and down, makes huge difference with the ol electric windows. can get it from Repco etc, Stocks even sell it!! Did you get your door belts from them? Graphite Powder is the shiz!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIKVLTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VL-Dan [View Post] I know Mike has a set of NOS outer strips but they arn't for sale.....at the moment Haha Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZ-SXYHDTArchived member
the HZ ones are different, call them Bailey channels, more of a push in rubber than a staple on effort. But yes i did get them from Autolab
0 likes
VL-DanArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by gasguzler [View Post] Also have the same problem on mine, crappy holden mouldings! Did cleaning them up and using rubber conditioner soften them up a bit?? They are feel heaps softer and the rubber bends quite easily now (to move with the glass). Once they are off you can see lots of mould/dirt/crap on the underside which I scrapped off with a flat blade screwdriver, then gave them a good wash in warm soapy water then almost drowned them in this conditioner. Stuff I used isn't specifically for rubber but can be used on it and definately made a difference.
0 likes
NZ_GTSArchived member
I thought about replacing those when I re-trimmed my doors, but the at the price it simply wasn't worth it. I was also unsure on how to reattach them - from the factory they are stapled on with some seriously heavy duty staples. I'm not sure rivets would work as I think the size of the rivet would prevent the door trim from being attached properly. Anyway, I went to Para Rubber and found a thick self adhesive foam strip, which I then glued to the door trim. Sits flush on the glass, so does the same job as the belt, but cost me about $10.00...
0 likes
gasguzlerArchived member
hey guys, does anyone know where I could buy one of these rubbers for a drivers door? and is it a prick of a job replace? had my windows tinted today and the guy tinting them destroyed my one... i am so pissed off right now!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZ_BT1Archived member
my car has brand new rubbers and also bealey channel right through boot rubber the lot makes a massive difference..looks awesome to well worth doing Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZERArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by gasguzler [View Post] hey guys, does anyone know where I could buy one of these rubbers for a drivers door? and is it a prick of a job replace? had my windows tinted today and the guy tinting them destroyed my one... i am so pissed off right now!! Rare spares or eBay Oz. Were the only 2 places I could find them. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
gasguzlerArchived member
cheers. did you end up replacing yours in the end?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today91

7,519 threads, 49,751 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved