Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Heya gents, been a very long time since i've hopped onto the PC been overseas visiting family, anyways; it's soon time for me to start working on the car again and would like to turn one of my VL's into a v8.
I've spoken to alot of people and such and I have decided to get a VZ Clubby 5.9L engine for it, I was going to ask you guys if it would be better to buy a crate engine or to get a used VZ clubby engine and to just recond' it, im not really looking towards too much of the performance side, i want a nice ride to cruise long distances and with alitle bit of a roar when i put the foot down.
I was wondering if it was even possible to get a nexto new VZ 5.9 in a crate, which places should i look for to get 1 and the rough costs to get 1 or the rough cost to recondition an older engine. I am fairly new to this whole reconditioning engine thing so please bare with me and thank so much for the help guys.
0 likes
Personally I reckon an Aussie 5.0L would be awesome in there. Same engine used in the VN-VT series 1 V8's. I think they were also used in the higher spec VL V8's too. Let us know what you decide to go with!
0 likes
If your not chasing power why did you choose an ls2 (the 6L motor)? As above, an injected 5 litre will be more than what your after. Otherwise just buy a v8 vl
0 likes
Any new Chev V8 is available as a crate motor, sounds like you want an L98 but for practibility sake why not drop an injected 4.9 into a pensioners VK or two tone VH SL/E?
0 likes
Wouldn't an L98 be cheaper on fuel, have much better parts availability (standard and performance) with way more power and the potential for much more on an unopened engine than a Holden 5L? Plus if you ever decided to sell it the L98 powered VL is going to be a more attractive purchase to a potential buyer. Of course it is going to cost a lot more initially but if you have the money and want to spend it on your car, why not?
0 likes
mate if you go the new gen youll be spending 14K plus on the conversion (if you use a used motor) add a couple of grand for a crate motor and youll need engineers to register it or spend 5k and do a 5L conversion
0 likes