Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My Build of a vl Berlina

Started by 50L-H8R · 28 July 2012 · 12 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

50L-H8RArchived member
updated to show progress of my build So here is my story... Im 15 live in Canberra, after seeing my first Vl at summernats i istantly loved them and wanted one. So i got a part time job after school and saved hard considering it was crapy pay. Then not to long after that a mate from the southcoast (batemans bay area) found one of a old bloke for 1000$ we went down and had a look at it. It has some serious rust in the front cowl panel (windscreen wiper panel) apart from that it was rust free. He was asking 1300$ but we talked him down to 1000$. It was the berst day i could not stop smiling we drove the car back to moruya and left it at our mates house for the next week as it had ran out of rego 2 weeks prior to buying. The next weekend we went down with a car trailer to tow it back after finding out the uin-joint was about to fall out. We got it home and thats when i just started basically pulling parts off. The car will be getting a respray in the BA XR6 blood orange, as the paint on it was very faded. Its basically a father son project that will become a nice clean streeter... ---------- Post added 29-07-12 at 21:46 ---------- sorry about the quality but this is what it looked like as we purchased it. ---------- Post added 29-07-12 at 21:50 ---------- Then we got it home http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN0604.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN0604.jpg) http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN0603.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN0603.jpg) http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN0637.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN0637.jpg) ---------- Post added 29-07-12 at 21:51 ---------- And the fun began http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN0671.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN0671.jpg) http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN0660.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN0660.jpg) ---------- Post added 29-07-12 at 21:53 ---------- http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...R/DSCN1015.jpg (http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/50L-H8R/DSCN1015.jpg) I am very lucky to have this as my shed Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mister.xArchived member
you are one legit 15 year old lol. I look forward to seeing the end result, goodluck
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Nice mate, should be a fun build for yourself.. Ive always wanted a car lift in my garage lol
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Haha thanks guys, yeah it's very helpful having a hoist in the shed hahaha slowed down a lot on the build due to motorcross haha
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Ok so I have not updated anything like I said I would be I am going to start updating regularly as we had some **** with our Internet and computer screwed up but anyway, I am in the middle of wrecking my first vl because it is full of rust I can just about stick my head through some of it haha so I have just purchased a 1987 vl berlina with immaculate red interior and a fibre glass Calais front, I got it about 2 weeks ago, I had a whole heap of spare parts at home waiting. So I got the car home the alternator was screwed, the radiator leaked and was broken, rear quater window was smashed due to break in, and stereo was wired up crappy and didnt work, came with 3 chasers and one Calais rim, I got it towed to my house and started washed it and it came up great, put her in the shed cleaned it all up, I had a spare alternator and radiator so I fitted them I also had a spare quater window so fitted that ripped out all stereo gear and sold it off swapped my mate a front bar for a factory turbo inlet manifold ( winning ) and now need to fit new power steer rack and pump, I have a mate who has a spare vt berlina so I'm getting the brakes off that to do a brake upgrade on the vl, getting chasers powder coated and new tyres possibly walking them ill keep it updated with the new car!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Walling not walking!!!
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
[/IMG] Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
[IMG] [/IMG] This was here when I got it UPDATE I had a set of genie extractors laying in the shed so put them on, also bought a redback 2.5 inch cat back exhaust got some king springs I think super lows off a mate so threw them in also got shorter shocks, the front came with some blue lowered springs so left them!! Next things to do... Paint all the window trims black again as they look crap - get chasers powder coated asteroid silver, that's all for now Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Good find mate, I'm keen to see how it turns out. Get some pics up of the interior, I really like the red interiors
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Yeah man I will take some more when I get back
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
I'm trying to find one but it was before I bought it so I will get some when I get home Christmas Day Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Getting some stuff done on the exhaust ill put up some photos once finished
0 likes
50L-H8RArchived member
Haven't updated for ages so thought I might again, I'm trying to get the car passed roadworthy so I can put some rego on it, so stuff needs to go back into the car, all interior was out for cleaning and bay way cleaned up some wiring hidden etc Stuff to do for Rwc Standard springs Exhaust (quieter) Tyres Passenger side strut has play not sure what from needs attention. Minor service Once passed and registered it will come back home after a few small drives and be pulled down ready for paint, engine out and bay sprayed, going closed door but painting bay too, that's the plan for now anyway, ---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 23:33 ---------- Also have to wire up a 12 volt electric demister just going to buy 2 off eBay and wire them off toggle switches hopefully it's enough for it to pays rego Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,908 threads, 79,829 posts and 1,010 images saved from CT

31.9% of indexed threads saved