Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Tom's 88' VL SL 5spd

Started by S-Kimo · 20 July 2012 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

S-KimoArchived member
Hey all, I've been on here for a while now and figured I'd make a thread on my car I bought this car in 2010 as my first car. Make / Model: 1988 Holden Commodore VL Colour: Imperial Blue Bodykit: - Engine Type: RB30E Engine Mods: - Power: - Exhaust: Redback 2.5" mandrel bent, extractors Gearbox: MF5 Diff: VL Turbo Brakes: VLT Booster/master, VT front calipers w/ slotted rotors, standart VLT rear disc Suspension: King Spring lows with KYB shocks Wheels/Tyres: 18" VY SS Interior: Grey SL Stereo: Kenwood KD55-U553BT headunit, JVC splits, JL Audio 6x9's, 2x12" Pioneer subs, Pioneer amp and Audioline amp When I first bought it it was stock as a rock, since then I've fitted: - Extractors - 2.5" Redback Exhaust (single muffler) - VL Turbo disc brake diff + adjustable pan-hard rod - Pioneer subs+amp - 18" VY SS Rims - Berlina garnish - Boot strip - New AFM - New CAS - New Ignition module - Temperature gauge, just because I don't trust the Holden one - Clutch slave cyl - New lifters probably heaps more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head Engine is in great condition, just clicked over to 340,000k's and never skips a beat. Since I've owned it has been serviced every 5,000k's. The body is straight, the paint however is in horrible condition. Within the next few weeks I will be getting: - Front and rear King-spring lows(fe2) - KYB lowered shocks and struts - Strut brace - New plug leads - Distributor cap - Dump tip welded on the exhaust. Later along the line: - Respray the areas that need it (bonnet, nose-cone, boot, roof) - New headlights - Berlina tail lights - Turbo gearbox Ultimately I want to leave the engine as is until I'm off my p's and then turbo it. Pics: When I first got it: Recent photos: Installing the new diff: Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Mad87VLArchived member
Nice work man, seems like you've got a good head start but still a bit of work to be done.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Cheers mate, still got heaps of work to go, I've slowly been fixing/ modifying it over the past 2 years, being a full time student i don't have much money to burn on it.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Bought a whole lot of goodies today. - FE2 springs all round - KYB Excel-G Shockers - New plug leads - Dizzy rotor button - Dizzy cap Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Put the new shock and springs in over the weekend, heres how it looks: EDIT: I also found out that the tires i was running on the rear would scrub, even with rolled guards, switched the fronts with the back and no probs.. Anyone else had a problem like this with federal tires? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Decided to redo the nosecone and put some new headlights in. I had a smash the other day and broke the bumper down the middle thats why it looks so ****. I need a new bumper and trim Getting it ready for turbo so I bought a VLT 1" master and booster and VT brake upgrade. Haven't fitted the brakes but here's the booster/master Old: New: Was an easy install, made up my own bracket to fit the new one. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
A couple more photos of the brakes Couple snaps of the car I need some advice, what does everyone think it would look like with asteroid silver bumpers/trims/door molds with chrome door handles? And possibly sprayed silver under the door molds. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today1

12,662 threads, 100,322 posts and 1,281 images saved from CT

37.0% of indexed threads saved