Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Ls1 engine oil

Started by icacha · 9 July 2012 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

icachaArchived member
Hey just wondering what oil people run in there ls1.. Got a vx r8 that's had a bit of work done to it and was talking to the Castrol rep and he said to run full synthetic 10-60? Alot of other people have been telling me to just use mobile 1? Also is there a high flow oil filter that I can use on it too? Like k&n or something? Cheers David
0 likes
88_vl_bt1Archived member
i use 15w40 magnatec never had an issue
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
I also use magnatec 15w-40 in My VY, but it's 100% stocko daily driver. Id also recommend ULX110 10w-50.
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
Use Mobil 1 5W in my gf's VY
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
I think I mentioned that on an older post that Holden recommend using 10W30 oil in the LS1 engine , I see that Chevrolet were recommending 5W30 over in the U.S. for the LS series engines, but I assume that would be for colder climates where the temperature gets below zero in winter time. There is a high flow oil filter made by K&N but they cost around $35 on Ebay ,the highest grade of fully synthetic oil costs upwards to $70 - $80 per bottle. I've had no problems using the standard Z160 oil filter , 10W30 oil and changing both at 5000 kms on a standard engine with everyday use, probably no point in using the fully synthetic oil and the K&N filter unless the engine is modified and is pushed to an inch of its life on the race track, or as I mentioned before, driven in climates such as Perisher or Thredbo in the winter time. In my case with my car I'm talking about a 265,000 km engine which has no oil consumption issues, not a rebuilt & worked engine that's pushed on the race track.
0 likes
icachaArchived member
After looking at alot of other opinions on oils there most common seemed to be castrol edge 10w 60 fully synthetic.. So I went with that. Problem I have now is that there is a tick in the lifters? Oil to thick? Or mayb cause of the fully synthetic oil?
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
I don't like to use synthetic oil, unless it has been used in the engine since new. A mate uses a synthetic 10w-60 in his LS1 and that is very rattly also. Mine is VERY quiet with the mineral 15w-40.
0 likes
icachaArchived member
What brand oil is it mate? Just semi synthetic?
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
Get hpr30 penrite
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
The one I use is Castrol. I think it's GTX Modern engine or magnatec professional and I'm pretty sure it's just mineral oil, not even semi synthetic.
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
I use hpr50 and seems to be alot smother and a little more responsive...225,000 km
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
fagnatec or "modern engine" works well too, this is only setup so far in a bog stock ls1 with a slap on turbo
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today109

11,873 threads, 90,588 posts and 1,219 images saved from CT

34.7% of indexed threads saved