Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Help! Car wont start!

Started by mrvlberlina · 30 June 2012 · 2 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

mrvlberlinaArchived member
So lately my stock n/a auto has been having an intermittent problem where it'll stall at the lights and won't start for a bit (5 mins or so). Its not the fuel, and it's getting spark (new dizzy cap, unsure of CAS condition) and the plugs weren't changed that long ago. The main head scratcher I have is that apart from this happening on occasion (more lately) it runs like a dream! It's currently parked on the side of the road where it will remain till I'm finished work because this time it really didn't want to start no matter what I did Any help or ideas would be appreciated, I've owned plenty of vl's and have a good mechanical knowledge but this has me stumped ---------- Post added 30-06-12 at 21:25 ---------- Also on occasion, the fuel pump doesn't always prime properly, could it be the CAS? I've had a CAS go before, but it seems different this time.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
Quote: Also on occasion, the fuel pump doesn't always prime properly, could it be the CAS? Yeah, I've been there & done that, that has nearly left me stranded In Hamilton (Newy) many years ago, that turned out to be a faulty ignition coil, started her up one morning and it just stalled in the garage after idling it for a few minutes, it was supposed to have about 1 ohm of resistance across the primary of the coil, instead I was getting something like an 11 ohms reading on my multimeter. Just lucky I had a spare coil, put that in & the problem was fixed. The CAS can cause that problem or the connections to it, had that problem (stalling & blowing a bit of smoke) many years ago when I was on holidays near Mullumbimby , got back home and replaced the plug (the terminals were corroded), that particularly becomes a problem on these engines because the rubbers boots perish and they aren't weatherproof, particularly if the engine has been pressure cleaned, that problem was fixed up on the series III R31 Skyline when Nissan started fitting weatherproof connectors on these engines, the CAS has been known to fail on these engines but I've never had one go on me. Oh, the fuel priming problem, the lift pump has been known to cause this in the VL Commodore , when the brushes wear out they make intermittent contact and that's where you get your priming problem, that usually doesn't do your high pressure pump any good as it runs dry causing the pump to cavitate,also if the hose for the return line back to the swirl pot is broken, that can cause that problem when the tank gets to or below 1/4. The fuel pump should however, prime up for 5 seconds when you turn the ignition on. I've had a punctured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm cause that starting problem, but that usually causes the cylinders to fill with fuel causing a hydrostatic lock because the fuel enters the intake through the vacuum tube, that coincidentally happened after I replaced the high pressure fuel pump. Hope this helps.
0 likes
mrvlberlinaArchived member
Yeah that helps a bit, I've changed the coil as I have a spare but I think they both are on the way out.. And the fuel pump 99.9% of the time primes like normal, but it's sometimes it doesn't pump when I crank it, which is why I thought maybe the CAS not communicating properly.. ---------- Post added 01-07-12 at 09:33 ---------- So I completely pulled the CAS out and cleaned it with electrical contact spray, put it all back together and no good. Then for some strange reason I decided to swap my spark plugs over with the new ones I had spare and what do you know, SHE STARTED! Has anybody had this before? Spark plugs working fine then all of a sudden just kill the car? VL's are a head fcuk!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today8

16,157 threads, 155,519 posts and 1,787 images saved from CT

47.2% of indexed threads saved